Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NatureFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,097
Coralline algae and Jar reef

I just read that you can't keep Stoney corals near Xenia because they produce a chemical that is toxic to them. Is this chemical toxic to me as well? Should I wear gloves? I was kind of hoping I could touch it periodically without gloves but if its toxic or if it stings I won't get it at all.
If I cannot touch these which ones can I touch?

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
__________________

__________________
NatureFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bectan01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: melbourne, australia
Posts: 1,930
Yes, zoas can be toxic so gloves are recommended if you need to handle them. I think under $100 is going to be pushing it to be honest. At minimum you will need to purchase a powerhead, lighting (I use a par 38 globe over my 10g) you will need test kits (they can be $100 right there but you can start with the basics) you will need a refractometer for measuring salinity and a heater. You will also need to think about where you will get water from, tap water is not recommended for reef tanks. Either way you will need extra gear for mixing salt water (another container, heater and powerhead) ro-di water is best. You can buy your own unit or buy pre-made ro-di and pre mixed salt water from your lfs. I believe this is the minimum equipment needed for a 10g. I keep both a 10g and a 60g...


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Bectan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bectan01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: melbourne, australia
Posts: 1,930
Oh yes, live rock will be expensive too (not sure where you are from but in Australia it's about $15 a kilo) you will need about 10pounds minimum. Dry rock is cheaper though you could start with that...


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Bectan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BigRedsReefs10's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureFish View Post
I don't have a set budget but I'm aiming for less than $100


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

Not gonna happen, save up and do it when you can afford it.
__________________
BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NatureFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,097
Well I mean I have a lot more than $100 so if I need to I will use more but Im trying not to spend a whole lot.


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
__________________
NatureFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:53 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NatureFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
Oh yes, live rock will be expensive too (not sure where you are from but in Australia it's about $15 a kilo) you will need about 10pounds minimum. Dry rock is cheaper though you could start with that...


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I was going to get dry rock anyway since it freaks me out that their might be all kinds of hitchhikers on live rock.... I don't want lots of jellyfish or hard corals or snails etc.


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
__________________
NatureFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NatureFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
Yes, zoas can be toxic so gloves are recommended if you need to handle them. I think under $100 is going to be pushing it to be honest. At minimum you will need to purchase a powerhead, lighting (I use a par 38 globe over my 10g) you will need test kits (they can be $100 right there but you can start with the basics) you will need a refractometer for measuring salinity and a heater. You will also need to think about where you will get water from, tap water is not recommended for reef tanks. Either way you will need extra gear for mixing salt water (another container, heater and powerhead) ro-di water is best. You can buy your own unit or buy pre-made ro-di and pre mixed salt water from your lfs. I believe this is the minimum equipment needed for a 10g. I keep both a 10g and a 60g...


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I have a reverse osmosis system is that what RO is?


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
__________________
NatureFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NatureFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,097
Coralline algae and Jar reef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
Yes, zoas can be toxic so gloves are recommended if you need to handle them. I think under $100 is going to be pushing it to be honest. At minimum you will need to purchase a powerhead, lighting (I use a par 38 globe over my 10g) you will need test kits (they can be $100 right there but you can start with the basics) you will need a refractometer for measuring salinity and a heater. You will also need to think about where you will get water from, tap water is not recommended for reef tanks. Either way you will need extra gear for mixing salt water (another container, heater and powerhead) ro-di water is best. You can buy your own unit or buy pre-made ro-di and pre mixed salt water from your lfs. I believe this is the minimum equipment needed for a 10g. I keep both a 10g and a 60g...


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I decided against zoas (because I don't want to risk being poisoned) but I was wondering if Xenia are toxic...another reason I ask is because my parents won't let me get anything toxic or anything that can sting....
Where do you suggest I order my equipment?

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
__________________
NatureFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:03 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NatureFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,097
How much does Xenia typically cost? If I do this correctly my Xenia should grow very quickly so I'll probably end up selling a lot of it and I was wondering the maximum and minimum of I could charge.


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
__________________
NatureFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:15 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureFish View Post
I was going to get dry rock anyway since it freaks me out that their might be all kinds of hitchhikers on live rock.... I don't want lots of jellyfish or hard corals or snails etc.


NatureFish
��������
Haha the hitch hikers are usually quite fascinating on the live rock. It's not terribly common that something bad is on the live rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureFish View Post
I have a reverse osmosis system is that what RO is?


NatureFish
��������
Yeah, a RO system will be fine but many people take it up a step and go with Deionizing the water as well which removes everything from the water making it as pure as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureFish View Post
I decided against zoas (because I don't want to risk being poisoned) but I was wondering if Xenia are toxic...another reason I ask is because my parents won't let me get anything toxic or anything that can sting....
Where do you suggest I order my equipment?

NatureFish
��������
Nobody has ever died of zoa poisoning. One guy had a problem with it when he boiled some live rock but that's the only case that anyone is aware of. Just don't eat it and you will be fine. That being said, almost all corals can be considered to have a level of toxicity to them but again, just don't eat stuff out of your tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureFish View Post
How much does Xenia typically cost? If I do this correctly my Xenia should grow very quickly so I'll probably end up selling a lot of it and I was wondering the maximum and minimum of I could charge.


NatureFish
��������
Xenia is really cheap. An average frag that's probably golf ball size will sell for $10 at the very most. Many people give it away for free.
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
algae, coral, coralline, line, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mushroom coral jar? Bettacrazy Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 08-09-2011 10:54 PM
What to do with a jar? Aquarium1 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 3 11-08-2009 02:34 PM
Cycling a jar chenwb Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 1 06-16-2009 03:22 AM
Kimchee jar aquarium? Cheburashka Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 01-31-2007 10:47 PM
Ghost in a jar....I want one talloulou Aquaria Off-Topic 10 09-16-2005 10:52 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.