Coralline algae and Jar reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just read that you can't keep Stoney corals near Xenia because they produce a chemical that is toxic to them. Is this chemical toxic to me as well? Should I wear gloves? I was kind of hoping I could touch it periodically without gloves but if its toxic or if it stings I won't get it at all.
If I cannot touch these which ones can I touch?

NatureFish
????

Yes, zoas can be toxic so gloves are recommended if you need to handle them. I think under $100 is going to be pushing it to be honest. At minimum you will need to purchase a powerhead, lighting (I use a par 38 globe over my 10g) you will need test kits (they can be $100 right there but you can start with the basics) you will need a refractometer for measuring salinity and a heater. You will also need to think about where you will get water from, tap water is not recommended for reef tanks. Either way you will need extra gear for mixing salt water (another container, heater and powerhead) ro-di water is best. You can buy your own unit or buy pre-made ro-di and pre mixed salt water from your lfs. I believe this is the minimum equipment needed for a 10g. I keep both a 10g and a 60g...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh yes, live rock will be expensive too (not sure where you are from but in Australia it's about $15 a kilo) you will need about 10pounds minimum. Dry rock is cheaper though you could start with that...

Well I mean I have a lot more than $100 so if I need to I will use more but Im trying not to spend a whole lot.

NatureFish
????

Oh yes, live rock will be expensive too (not sure where you are from but in Australia it's about $15 a kilo) you will need about 10pounds minimum. Dry rock is cheaper though you could start with that...

I was going to get dry rock anyway since it freaks me out that their might be all kinds of hitchhikers on live rock.... I don't want lots of jellyfish or hard corals or snails etc.

NatureFish
????

Yes, zoas can be toxic so gloves are recommended if you need to handle them. I think under $100 is going to be pushing it to be honest. At minimum you will need to purchase a powerhead, lighting (I use a par 38 globe over my 10g) you will need test kits (they can be $100 right there but you can start with the basics) you will need a refractometer for measuring salinity and a heater. You will also need to think about where you will get water from, tap water is not recommended for reef tanks. Either way you will need extra gear for mixing salt water (another container, heater and powerhead) ro-di water is best. You can buy your own unit or buy pre-made ro-di and pre mixed salt water from your lfs. I believe this is the minimum equipment needed for a 10g. I keep both a 10g and a 60g...

I have a reverse osmosis system is that what RO is?

NatureFish
????

I decided against zoas (because I don't want to risk being poisoned) but I was wondering if Xenia are toxic...another reason I ask is because my parents won't let me get anything toxic or anything that can sting....
Where do you suggest I order my equipment?

NatureFish
????

How much does Xenia typically cost? If I do this correctly my Xenia should grow very quickly so I'll probably end up selling a lot of it and I was wondering the maximum and minimum of I could charge.

NatureFish
????

I was going to get dry rock anyway since it freaks me out that their might be all kinds of hitchhikers on live rock.... I don't want lots of jellyfish or hard corals or snails etc.

NatureFish
��������

Haha the hitch hikers are usually quite fascinating on the live rock. It's not terribly common that something bad is on the live rock.

I have a reverse osmosis system is that what RO is?

NatureFish
��������

Yeah, a RO system will be fine but many people take it up a step and go with Deionizing the water as well which removes everything from the water making it as pure as possible.

I decided against zoas (because I don't want to risk being poisoned) but I was wondering if Xenia are toxic...another reason I ask is because my parents won't let me get anything toxic or anything that can sting....
Where do you suggest I order my equipment?

NatureFish
��������

Nobody has ever died of zoa poisoning. One guy had a problem with it when he boiled some live rock but that's the only case that anyone is aware of. Just don't eat it and you will be fine. That being said, almost all corals can be considered to have a level of toxicity to them but again, just don't eat stuff out of your tanks.

How much does Xenia typically cost? If I do this correctly my Xenia should grow very quickly so I'll probably end up selling a lot of it and I was wondering the maximum and minimum of I could charge.

NatureFish
��������

Xenia is really cheap. An average frag that's probably golf ball size will sell for $10 at the very most. Many people give it away for free.

Can you breathe that stuff in or do you have to wear a mask?

NatureFish
????

You only have to worry about breathing it in if you boil the rock. Otherwise its perfectly fine. The zoas only release the toxin when they are damaged. I.e. eaten, cut, smashed, etc. They dont release it normally.

What if cut it accidentally during fraging?

NatureFish
????

So what fish can I keep in there if I decided get one.... My favorite fish is the yellow tang but I don't have enough room for one.

NatureFish
????

Like I said, no hobbyist has ever died from it and I can count the number or times ive heard of people getting sick from it on one hand. Its not common at all.

Do you have to wear gloves just to touch them at all?

NatureFish
????

A single clown fish is generally accepted for a 10g tank. Other than that small gobies or other perching fish would work well. A skunk cleaner shrimp would be great.

And what about xenias are they safe to touch with my bare hands and if I cut them while fraging will they release anything? I've watched people on YouTube frag them with scissors and then tie them to a plug with fishing line and they don't wear gloves at all.

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom