Coralline algae and Jar reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the crab or something did it not you? Well that's a relief because If you killed it I have no chance of keeping it alive!

NatureFish
????

Awe poor GSP. So... Can I start cycling the tank before I get the live sand and rock delivered or do I have to wait? And how do I cycle it? I'm breaking the traditional ways and starting my first tank ever as a salt water/nano reef.

NatureFish
????

Awe poor GSP. So... Can I start cycling the tank before I get the live sand and rock delivered or do I have to wait? And how do I cycle it? I'm breaking the traditional ways and starting my first tank ever as a salt water/nano reef.

NatureFish
????
The bacteria colonizes on the rock so you need that in the tank. When you get the rock, just put a raw shrimp from the store and put it in the tank (preferably in pantyhose so it doesn't make a mess). Just leave it in there for a few days.

And after a few days it will be done cycling? I thought it took a whole lot longer....

NatureFish
????

What causes corals to melt away? How long will they last before they melt?

NatureFish
????

The cycle does take longer. The shrimp just builds up ammonia. And corals can melt away from bad water quality or sometimes for no reason. Corals can outlive you as long as you care for them properly.

Why are we feeding coral people ?? I spent weeks feeding my plate coral and wondering why it never came out ... Because I was feeding him . If you turn all your pumps and power heads off when feeding they will pick up enough food to survive and thrive .. Made all these little mistakes and probably killed a few with feeding .. Light and the right mixture of reef additives with a little missed food has worked for me .. Only an opinion but opinions are like bumholes everyone has one !! Try a few little things tweek it here and there

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The cycle does take longer. The shrimp just builds up ammonia. And corals can melt away from bad water quality or sometimes for no reason. Corals can outlive you as long as you care for them properly.

Cool!

NatureFish
????

Why are we feeding coral people ?? I spent weeks feeding my plate coral and wondering why it never came out ... Because I was feeding him . If you turn all your pumps and power heads off when feeding they will pick up enough food to survive and thrive .. Made all these little mistakes and probably killed a few with feeding .. Light and the right mixture of reef additives with a little missed food has worked for me .. Only an opinion but opinions are like bumholes everyone has one !! Try a few little things tweek it here and there

IMO I think it depends on the coral. I think my duncans and acans benefit from feeding. I feed them every few days. Buy I never feed my zoas or SPS because I don't think it helps.

My dendro gets fed :p. I try to broadcast feed my sps as well with a small food like reef frenzy. I think it helps

IMO I think it depends on the coral. I think my duncans and acans benefit from feeding. I feed them every few days. Buy I never feed my zoas or SPS because I don't think it helps.

+1 some corals like food while others don't need it at all. You will see a feeding response with many of the corals that like to eat when you put food in the water. i.e. feeding tendrils come out. War coral, torch coral, and chalices are some of the ones that I've personally seen do this. There are many many others though.

I haven't seen any benefit to feeding any of the corals in my tank. All it did was foul up the water and then my coral suffered.
If you can't keep the water pristine and remove what is being fed, then don't feed...ever.

I haven't seen any benefit to feeding any of the corals in my tank. All it did was foul up the water and then my coral suffered.
If you can't keep the water pristine and remove what is being fed, then don't feed...ever.
Thats a good point. I approach feeding to my tank in a different manner. Ive never had a detectable level of nitrates in my tank so I dont really have to worry about feeding.

Thats a good point. I approach feeding to my tank in a different manner. Ive never had a detectable level of nitrates in my tank so I dont really have to worry about feeding.

Me either. But I spot feed and all the food get's consumed, and the little that doesn't, get's quickly engulfed by my pig of a clownfish.

The corals I want don't need to be fed though right?

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom