Coralline algae and Jar reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What little creatures that live over 2 years can I put in my reef tank?

NatureFish
????

Oh and by the way I'm ordering everything I need online today so a quick recap would be nice...

NatureFish
????

What's LPS?

NatureFish
????
LPS stands for Large Polyp Stony Coral. It means that it's skeleton is like a rock and the polyps are really big. SPS is Small Polyp Stony coral. It's skeleton is stony but it has really tiny polyps. Softies have no skeletons.
What little creatures that live over 2 years can I put in my reef tank?

NatureFish
????
I'm pretty sure everything will live over 2 years.

So I could put little shrimp? Which shrimp would u recommend how do u care for it. And is it reef safe? Also would starfish work?

NatureFish
????

Ok so I need to order/buy instant marine salt, one power head, a refractometer, live sand, live rock, RO water, raw unseasoned table shrimp, panty hose, lighting, and test kit. Is there anything I'm missing besides the coral?

NatureFish
????

Oh ya thats right! what kimd of lighting do i need again? And how long should I leave the shrimp and panty hose? Should the power head be on when I cycle the tank? Can I use a filter I already have in addition to using the live rock as a filter? How long does it take to fully cycle the tank?

NatureFish
????

Oh ya thats right! what kimd of lighting do i need again? And how long should I leave the shrimp and panty hose? Should the power head be on when I cycle the tank? Can I use a filter I already have in addition to using the live rock as a filter? How long does it take to fully cycle the tank?

NatureFish
????

You leave the powerhead on. And you can use the filter. Just run chemipure and some filter floss (quilt batting. Super cheap at the local walmart). It usually takes about a month to cycle a tank. A little less with live rock. And I'm not sure about lighting. Maybe someone else can help with that.

You leave the powerhead on. And you can use the filter. Just run chemipure and some filter floss (quilt batting. Super cheap at the local walmart). It usually takes about a month to cycle a tank. A little less with live rock. And I'm not sure about lighting. Maybe someone else can help with that.

Haha ok I'll call for someone else right now..... SOMEONE ELSE PLEASE COME!!!

NatureFish
????

I'm not sure what kind of budget your on but honestly you might as well just get an all-in-one kit. I have a 14 gallon biocube. Has everything you need besides a heater and a power head. The lighting supports most coral besides sps and it's a great starter tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it were me, I would go with a finnex ray 2. They come in 18" and 24" models so I'd go with the 24. It's a quality light that will let you grow anything.

The biocube isn't a terrible idea, but the quality of their lighting is usually quite sub par when compared with other brands.

I don't think too sub-par. I have some birdsnest in there and it's doing really well!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I've already got the tank so I'm just going to get what's on the list.

NatureFish
????

Can the cleaner shrimp be kept without fish? And can they tolerate the light that you recommended?

NatureFish
????

Ok cleaner shrimp it is! Do shrimp look gross when they die???? How do you tell if they are dead?

NatureFish
????

They do the same thing that everything else does when it dies... lay around not moving.

Does anyone here have cleaner shrimp? What d you do to keep your shrimp healthy?

Back
Top Bottom