coralline growing fast but not purple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am starting to get great coralline growth on the back glass, PHs and live rock....but it's more whitish, not purple. is my lighting causing this? Is there anything I can do to make it more purple? Is there some trace element missing maybe? Tank is a 30 long with 4x39 watt T5s, 2 10000K and 2 actinic.

I would Not recomend adding anything with out testing 1st . I have noticed that mine too sometimes grows in white then eventually colors in . Some times it is just too much light in those spots ...

It usually starts with those colors and fills in with the darker colors later on as Ms SadieLynn said.

OK then I will just be patient! Thanks! I'm just happy it's growing, and taking that as a sign that things are well in the tank.

My coralline algae spread the same way. I first thought that it was die-off, and but realized there was nothing there to die-off. A few weeks later, my tank was blooming with the desired purple/pink color. Patience always pays off and there is no need for any chemicals. Hope that helps.

Be careful what you wish for. Before long it will be all over your rock and your glass and equipment. LOL

Is to much a bad thing?
If so how can yo controll it?
I'm guessing a simple cleaning will help but just to be sure I figured I'd ask

Too much is when you can't see into your tank. It is a personal preference. I have my 55 in the middle of the room, so I scrape it off all my glass. My 125 is in a corner. I don't scrape the back or the other side that is also next to the wall.

How many colors does coraline grow in? I think i have a bright green coraline. it looks almost radioactive.

To tell you the truth, there are porbably 100s or 1000s of coraline species. Most common seem to be dark red, green, and purple. I think I have seen yellow.

I don't have any that come to mind. I guess I really just took it for granted...lol. Try a google search. I just pulled up a ton of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom