Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-18-2005, 08:56 AM   #11
Mine just started after 4 years of having my tank set up. I know sounds strange, but since I am broke, I decided about 6 months ago to try to get more color in my tank by getting some coralline to grow on the rock and walls (FOWLR). What has finally worked for me is I have dialed in my skimmer with a boost from an additional air pump, changed out the bulbs on my double strip (Just 80 watts over a 75 gal), stepped up the water changes to every week using reef crystals. It is stating to get real crusty on the back of the tank and I see white paint flecks on the back as well. I am really excited because I have never had any luck with getting coralline to grow in 15 years.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:49 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wanted to add something that wasn't mentioned above...make sure that your phosphate levels stay under control because phosphate inhibits the growth of all calcifiers (including coralline algae). HTH

ZoozFishMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Even though Calc & Alk levels are high, but you have high phosphate levels.. No Coralline Algae will grow.

Is that right?

Calc - 500
Alk - 160
PO4 - 3.0

I think I'm losing all hope.
usaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:39 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
usaco, i'm not sure if i'm translating your alk reading properly, but it seems a little off balance with your calcium. Balance with alk/ca is pretty important. For good coraline growth, some good lighting will help as well. My tank had minimal growth after the first few months. As soon as I upgraded my lighting (4x65PC on a 55 gallon) my coraline really started to show.

Check out this article that goes into great depths of explaining the ca/alk relationship and how to adjust the levels in your tank accordingly.

it even has an in-depth explanation of Alkalinity
and calcium

HTH. be patient. it takes time. i think it was a few months before I got noticible coraline growth.
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:41 AM   #15
Wow, is that really you?

Old 10-10-2005, 09:43 AM   #16
Mine started after about six months of being setup. It takes very good water quality and decent calcium levels.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
It is tought to be patient but you must. When I started out, I used IO and did not dose anything. Once the tank matures a bit, the corraline will grow. Then you will ahet it when you have to get the razor out once month or more to clean the glass

I moved my tank and lost my back corraline wall. That sucked but it is coming back.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,, I am new to the salterwater game had my tank set up just over 6 months. I Bought two large pieces of live rock that had a good amount of coraline algae on them to start my reef. The other rocks or corals had hardly any on them. I have a total of 75lbs in my 30 gal with 198 watt PC's lighting. After about a month I seen new growth on things and it has been spreading ever since. My calcium only reads about 370 at last check. Now after 6 months it is on most everything that isn't brand new.It may have not even been a month LOL.

tooldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:03 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
yeah, i originally posted a reply to this thread when it was new.....and since i've gotten coralline to start growing and it's only been maybe a month tops since i added LR with coraline to the tank. I bought a calcium test kit and some Kent's Liquid Calcium. I started dosing and testing to see if i could get my levels up. Well, a month into doing this and my calcium levels are around the high 300's and i've had a little bit of success.

Problem is, i have since found two urchins that are growing like mad. They are starting to dominate the Coraline on some of the rocks...so i'm going to have to move them to the fuge soon.

75g reef
zenn is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, coralline

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com