Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JEurope

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are good corals to start off with. I have 2 Astraea snails, 1 Sally lightfoot crab, and 1 marble star fish as my cuc.

Tell us a little more about your tank and equipment. This will help folks suggest some good corals appropriate to your tank.

How long has the tank been established?
What size is the tank?
What is your lighting? Lighting duration?

Well I have a Red Sea max 130d 32g I have had it up and running for about 7 weeks. Lighting is Red Sea 55w compact 15

My lighting runs for 8 hours daily, was thinking bout making 12 hours

Sounds like some good starters would be zoas, and shrooms.

Any idea on your alk/Ca levels and PO4/NO3 levels?

I tested it yesterday, but failed to record it. I'm going to test again in the morning and record it. I do remember my iron was low. So I was planning on getting some supplements to ensure I keep all levels good.

You want to make sure you aren't adding anything you aren't testing for. I'd you have no coral in the tank you shouldn't need to supplement Fe right off the bat. Your salt mix provides the necessary trace elements to start with.

My nitrate was 0.00ppm and po4 was 0.08ppm, iodine was 0.06 iron 0.

Yea I tested the iron, which why I was thinking I should supplement it. Being it was 0 do you agree. I surely agree not to add anything I'm not testing.

fort384 said:
You want to make sure you aren't adding anything you aren't testing for. I'd you have no coral in the tank you shouldn't need to supplement Fe right off the bat. Your salt mix provides the necessary trace elements to start with.

+1 dosing is not needed in a reef tank unless you either are packed with corals or go 2+ weeks between water changes IMO. Trace element supplements especially like iron and such are a gimmick if you ask me. The only things you may need to dose would be alkalinity calcium and magnesium but this is something that should be done with caution and only after researching about it.

Okay thanks for that advice. What do you suggest for starter corals.

Zoas are a great starter coral. Very easy to care for and may have the largest varieties of color in any coral.

I love zoas and ricordia mushrooms and regular mushrooms. I could live with just those 3 in my tank haha. Maybe some xenia if you want some variety.

Thanks, I was looking at the zoas and Xenia I like both. Thanks for the help and information.

Sounds good. Can't wait to see pics. I still urge you to consider a small ricordia frag. :) they're my fav

Khij159753 said:
Sounds good. Can't wait to see pics. I still urge you to consider a small ricordia frag. :) they're my fav

Yea I think I will have to add one too the tank as well.

Back
Top Bottom