Corals in carry-ons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocean

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Seems I can't get a yes or no answer from the airline about packing some corals in a carry-on to take back to Iowa. Anyone ever done it? Would hate to get to the airport then find out I can't take the corals with me! Would only be 2-3 small coral frags, if that makes any difference.

I'm sure as long as you met the TSA's carryon liquid policy ,...you'd be fine,...otherwise ,you could pack them up securely and send them home in your checked luggage

I think most airlines allow you to bring as much liquid as a tube of toothpaste unless its like milk formula. I had a bottle of gel and they made me threw it away because it was too much.

4oz of fluid is the max. If that is enough for the frags you shouldn't have a problem. It is the TSA though....

If you would spend the extra id bring that back as live animal so they are not tossed around last time i did this from hawaii to erie pa cost me 100 bucks...

This is more of a last ditch effort: *Disclaimer* please use your own judgment on this, I do not take any responsibility for you being harassed/handcuffed by the TSA/Police. It is always better to ask permission from the airline than ask for forgiveness from the TSA *Disclaimer*
If they wont let you take them on the plane because of liquid requirements you could always wrap them in a paper towel and have them in a bag of water ready to go. When you get to the airport and are about to go through security, pull the corals out (leave them wrapped in the paper towel) and put them all in a small ziplock bag to keep residual moisture in. I'm not sure where you are coming from, but if the flight is less than 12 hours I would think you will be ok. Remember this is more of a last ditch effort, better to do this than have the TSA throw them in the garbage....

Of course shipping in water would be the best, but I know of people who ship corals in paper towels so if the bag is punctured the coral stays moist until it is delivered. And they have had numerous bags puncture. what type of corals are these?

You could always ask when you get to the airport. And if possible putting them in checked luggage is probably best if you cant take them carry on in water

Last edited:
I don't think the TSA could care less what's in the bag.,whether it's corals., raisins or your teeth., they just want to control the liquid

if it was me i would just overnight it to myself thats easier then having to deal with airport security

Reactions: HN1
Thanks for all the help, I forgot about the 3 oz. Of liquid limit. The frags ( candy cane, Ricordea, Leather and Clove Polyps) are all around dime or nickel size. Planning on buying the corals here in Ga. Friday, staying over night in Jacksonville and flying back to Iowa, which will be a six hour flight, and another two hour drive home.....maybe I will be better off ordering them, this LFS does not ship. Another problem is I work and don't get home til after 3:30 pm. Hate to have corals sitting outside for hours. Quess I better make up my mind!! :)

Vacation was wonderful! Miss seeing more of my sister, Bill and Maddie. But they are coming up over the 4th of July and they will bring back a couple of the corals I want! :) I didn't want to risk trying to bring them home on the plane in case I was told no when I got to the airport. When I went to their LFS I felt like a kid in a candy store!

Back
Top Bottom