Corals not acting right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjh302

Aquarium Advice Freak
My mushrooms will not enlarge all of a sudden. My colt and my cespituria are also not looking very good and not opening like usual. It's been about 3 days now. The only thing different I have done is I started using AmQuel on Sunday. My cespituria was just introduced on Saturday. It will open for 20-30 minutes sometimes then close right back down for an hour or two. I also have a green star polyp, gonipora, orange crush zoas, palys, orange richordea, aand a good size sea cabbage. (All being frags except for the sea cabbage).

Pardon all of the spelling errors. Any idea if the Amquel is causing a reaction towards my corals? Is one of my corals poisonous towards other coral when put in the same tank together? I'm kind of clueless....

Weren't you already having water quality issues? I would stop adding livestock until you get your params under control

Weren't you already having water quality issues? I would stop adding livestock until you get your params under control

Not really. This last test I had a very small amount of ammonia. Other than that my water quality is good. Would the Amquel cause this?

If you are testing for ANY amount of ammonia you need to stop. You are adding too much at one time or you didn't cycle the tank. Any traces of ammonia or nitrite is toxic to livestock. This is why your tank is upset, not the Amquel, which is supposed to lower ammonia and nitrites. This is NOT a cure-all for not cycling the tank correctly though.

Since you already have livestock in there, there is only two courses of action. Either A. return everything living in it and cycle the tank or B. Test and do daily water changes until your tank has built up enough beneficial bacteria to make ammonia and nitrite levels undetectable.

It's not the Amquel. If anything, it's helping to save the livestock some. Hank, he had added 10 fish in a month.

My ammonia is back to 0 and all the rest of the Params look good. I'm at a loss here

But it WASN'T at zero. The continued tossing fish into your tank is overwhelming the beneficial bacteria you build up when you cycle your tank. Throwing so many fish into a system all at once leads to failure because you end up poisoning your fish from the levels of ammonia and nitrite. You need to put on the brakes, keep up with water changes to keep the levels down, and SLOWLY add a fish in a month or 2.

But it WASN'T at zero. The continued tossing fish into your tank is overwhelming the beneficial bacteria you build up when you cycle your tank. Throwing so many fish into a system all at once leads to failure because you end up poisoning your fish from the levels of ammonia and nitrite. You need to put on the brakes, keep up with water changes to keep the levels down, and SLOWLY add a fish in a month or 2.

+1. I would say don't add ANY live stock for a couple months. Let your system stabilize. For your current problems your lighting and listing your params would help.

Back
Top Bottom