cords and plugs EVERYWHERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RTV

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 4 lights,3 ph's,2moonlights,filter, skimmer and heater all running off one socket.....seems like a lot....2 big powerstrips running it all....is this a concern? Seems like a huge load on that one socket

Hard to tell unless you did the math - adding up the amps each draws. Gotta consider what else that circuit is running, non tank releated too. On the other hand, once you start tripping circuit breakers you'll know.

its dedicated only to the tank...and i haven't blown any fuses yet- i'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues that way.

Probably okay. How new is the house and what city/state are you in? Most houses built since the late 60's and early 70's have 20 amp circuits protected by 20 amp breakers. All breakers have an instantaneous overload rating that will prevent them from tripping when you turn something that has a high startup current like a vacuum cleaner or window air conditioner.

I seriously doubt that all of your aquarium equipment added together will draw more than just a few amperes. You'll be fine. Your powerstrips have a built in circuit breaker as well. You should, however, seriously consider a ground fault interrupt wall outlet and a titanium ground probe for your tank.

You should, however, seriously consider a ground fault interrupt wall outlet

It took me about 10 minutes to install (and I am not an electrician). I bought a 15 Amp for around $12 or $13 at HD. They look like what you might have in the bathroom or kitchen or anywhere water is near (the plug that looks funny and has a test/reset button.. If you install it, make sure you pull the fuse/breaker BEFORE you start working on it.

Again, posted this stuff a few months back in another thread. There is a right and wrong to install a GFI. You must make sure it installed on the load side of the circuit. Installing one incorrectly renders them useless. I can give anyone here detailed info on what they are, how they work and why you need one.

Tex,

I had an electrician install a GFCI for me @ the office where my tank is. When I turn off the power strip for all the pumps (so I can feed the fish) it occasionally trips the breaker. This is a real problem because the entire office phone system and computer networking system is on this line. The load is light and I don't know why this happens but I've got to correct it.

Any ideas??

Yeah, lots of ideas. Specifically, does it trip the breaker on the GFI recepticle or the breaker in the breaker box panel?

Back
Top Bottom