Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Correct me if I am wrong….

Correct me if I am wrong….

Set up my tank three weeks ago with live sand, installed live rock 2-1/2 weeks ago. Readings have been consistent ever since. Temp 79, Salinity 1.024 to 1.0245, Ph mostly around 8 (dropped a time or two), Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 0.

Last night I added two cap fulls of ammonia; a couple hours later it was off the chart. Tonight’s readings, Temp 79, Salinity 1.0245, Ph mostly around 7.8, Ammonia 8, Nitrite 50 and Nitrate 10.

Here is my assumption, would love your opinions. I assume that the Live Rock I bought was very well cured (the tank had fish in it if I remember right). Because of the live rock and live sand, I never entered a cycle because I already had a good colony living in the rock and sand. Hence, I never saw ammonia spike. With no ammonia in the tank, nitrite and nitrate never showed anything. As soon as I added some ammonia the existing colony went to work and that is why I am getting the readings I am. Think that is correct?

The tank is a 35 gal with a canister filter and two power heads. Side note, a LFS told me today that the Diatom only shows up at the end of the cycle and the fact I had it more than a week ago and it is gone now is another indication my tank didn’t need to cycle. Good advice or bad? I am trying to find an LFS I trust. I didn’t think I trusted this guy but now I am wondering if he was right on the money?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you're correct. You're tank was basically bought cycled. You're free to add fish now.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb View Post
Yes you're correct. You're tank was basically bought cycled. You're free to add fish now.
Thanks. That is pretty much what I thought. I will watch the levels for a few days until they drop down where they should be and then add a CUC. Are Diamand Gobys considered part of a clean up crew. LOL I love those fish. My initial plan was to start with a couple of Clowns about a week after CUC but was wondering if I could add a Diamond Goby the clean up crew? Bad idea?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, fish are not considered cuc lol. I would add fish first though
Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, by the way, it is a 45 gal not 35. (I really need to start reading my posts before I hit "Post Quick Reply"). LOL
Old 07-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It looks like your tank is cycling . If it was cycled then you would not have high nitrites and ammonia. If it was truly cycled then you would not have seen the ammonis bolt up like that. We have a great article about cycling in out SW article section.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

From the sounds of it I think it is cycled. If it weren't, he wouldn't go from zeros all across, add an ammonia source, and have numbers all across. The only way he could be reading nitrates is if the tank is cycled. The bacteria is existant. Even with benificial bacteria, if you add a high, instant ammonia source, you would still see ammonias, nitrites, and nitrates as the BB is trying to break it down. Do it to any "established" tank and you'll see the same results.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
It looks like your tank is cycling . If it was cycled then you would not have high nitrites and ammonia. If it was truly cycled then you would not have seen the ammonis bolt up like that. We have a great article about cycling in out SW article section.
He added a bunch of ammonia and both nitrites and nitrates were present soon after so he is cycled.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes the nitrite and nitrates were present within 24 hrs if not sooner. On top of that, the ammonia came down substantially in 24 hrs. With a glass top, I don't think that can be from off gassing alone so something has to be ridding the tank of the ammonia. As I said, I will watch the nitrite and nitrate and take it from there. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think your ok to add fish as soon as the amm and trites hit0,check you trates as well, if there over 20 when amm and trites are 0 the do a 30% pwc and add fish SLOWLY.

David S is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com