Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok I need some help setting up my 36 gallon tank. I have the filter and skimmer going with just my newly mixed saltwater. I'm going to leave this for 24 hours and check my salinity. If it is between 1.020-1.026 in going to continue. I have purchased well established live rock which is sitting in a cooler with a heater, power head and bubbler. I am going to add this but can I add my live sand ( which is new) at the same time or should I wait a couple weeks? Then after levels drop to zero I'm good to add a cleanup crew? How does all this sound. Thanks everyone.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Put your sand in first after a good rinse. Your water will probably still get cloudy from the dust in the sand. After the water clears up then add your rock. Make sure the rock sits on the bottom of the tank not on the sand. Check your salinity at temperature unless your are using a refractometer. Now start your cycle. Even using established live rock you may see your levels rise. Your cleanup crew won't add much to your bio load, your fish will. Are you using RO/DI water? Are you going for reef or FOWLR? Best of luck on your new system!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:19 AM   #3

I'm using tap water with conditioner. Sorry I'm not sure what the abbreviation are, I'm guessing it is fish only with live rock. I'm starting with well established live rock and then with clean up crew and in the near future hardy fish. Eventually I would love to add some coral, anemone and things but from what I have read I will need to upgrade my light.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

RO/DI stands for reverse ozmosis de-ironized. It'sa filter you connect to your tap to mix salt water. It takes all the impurities out of tap water. Regular tap water will cause algae blooms because its total dissolved solid count is too high. There's a part on the site that has a lot of the abbreviations used here, so if you're ever lost on something check that out.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Rock, sand then water. This will guarentee that the rock is stable. I used a Tupperware container level on the sand, put a container full of water higher than the tank on a ladder and used tubing to start a siphon. Placed the other side of the tube in the container so it would not directly hit the sand and stir it up. Continued to add water to the container to keep the siphon going until tank was full.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #6

Thanks. Ok so my rock and sand are in but my salinity is at 1.018 how much salt do I need to add to bring this up to a good level? My tank is right full do I will need to draw some water out mix it in that and put it back in. I am using instant ocean reef mix
Old 03-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

draw out some water in a jug or something and add a cup of salt. Let it desolve as much as possible and add it back. Wait a few hours and test your salinity to see how much it raised and you can add more if needed.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #8

Ok thanks my salinity is holding at 1.021.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #9

Ok my tank is only 36G but I have a 60 G canister filter which outputs 158G an hour plus 1 power head at 425g per hour. Is this enough flow and were should I place the power head?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

in my opinion you should stop what you're doing. If you plan on corals and even an anemone then dump the tap water and start over. Please do more research before continuing. Starting with tap water you are setting yourself up for failure. You need rodi water to start with which you should be able to purchase from a lfs.

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com