Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

budget for my 125 and a quick breakdown.
filter kit for RODI unit- $25 (replace once a year)
600g of salt mix (20% bi-weekly)- $170
2 new 96w PC bulbs- roughly $80
2 new 24in T5 bulbs for refugium- $40
food (hard to calculate)- prob $100
so all in all, im looking at roughly $415 per year for my 125, that's not including the extra electricity, water consumption and minor odds and ends (meds if needed, sponges for cleaning, etc). now granted I run a fairly simple setup, I don't have any reactors or excess equipment running, so my cost is a bit lower than most, but still, not even close to thousands of dollars a year.
now the money ive setup on the tank itself (new equipment, new fish, etc) im prob somewhere between 4-5g so far since I bought this tank, however it is a 125 and I tend to ignore pricing when it comes to fish.
also id just like to say that once it graduates to an obsession (which it will, don't worry) money isn't even a factor that you'll be concerned with. instead of "wow I spent how much money already?!?" youll be saying "how can I free up more money to spend??"

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
budget for my 125 and a quick breakdown.
filter kit for RODI unit- $25 (replace once a year)
600g of salt mix (20% bi-weekly)- $170
2 new 96w PC bulbs- roughly $80
2 new 24in T5 bulbs for refugium- $40
food (hard to calculate)- prob $100
so all in all, im looking at roughly $415 per year for my 125, that's not including the extra electricity, water consumption and minor odds and ends (meds if needed, sponges for cleaning, etc). now granted I run a fairly simple setup, I don't have any reactors or excess equipment running, so my cost is a bit lower than most, but still, not even close to thousands of dollars a year.
now the money ive setup on the tank itself (new equipment, new fish, etc) im prob somewhere between 4-5g so far since I bought this tank, however it is a 125 and I tend to ignore pricing when it comes to fish.
also id just like to say that once it graduates to an obsession (which it will, don't worry) money isn't even a factor that you'll be concerned with. instead of "wow I spent how much money already?!?" youll be saying "how can I free up more money to spend??"
That's Alot better of a price range that I would be OK with. Even a grand a year isn't bad. But unfortunately I am pricing my setup together now. I will be a little bit before it's up and running

Old 09-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

No way you can easily set up a 55 gal for around $800 while only spending around $300-700 a year. Salt, food, maintenance, supplements ,etc.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's hard to truly say. I just set up a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 long sump and I'm surely heading toward the upper hundreds for initial setup. Here's a simple list off the top of my head 40 Breeder 60$, T5 light Fixture W/ 4 Bulbs 50$, Stand 210 $, Salt Mix 25$, Dry Rock 105$, Dry Sand 30$, 20 Long Sump 22$, Mag 7 Return Pump 75$, Flex Spa & Miscellaneous Return Equipment 25$, Coralife Skimmer 90$, Overflow Box 99$, Other Equipment 40$. That's where I'm at right about now, as I'm still cycling. Hopefully I could be of some assistance !
Old 09-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you everyone for reassuring me that I'm not crazy!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydxmas View Post
Oh no, we are.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydxmas View Post
everything is relative and a matter of time the hobby is sure addicting and not for the sane mind
Old 10-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

+1 Huma Huma & SniperHawk
We are totally crazy, but well worth it. Your major expense will probably be time. Time spent mostly just staring into your little piece of ocean. I know I spend countless hours a month staring into my tank.
I probably spend about 300 a year on regular maintenance not including electric and water.
Problem is there's always a new gadget or something that I just gotta have!! Gotta upgrade my lights!! Gotta get that controller to make it all easier to run. What? I need that for my controller too!! Oh yeah, I gotta start that coral farm I've been dreaming about. It'll help offset the cost of this hobby (Right)

You think you can control it, but it controls you!! You'll see and welcome aboard this crazy train!!

So yeah I can see spending thousands a year for this hobby, just not for regular maintenance.. LOL!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com