cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always tell my wife you get your nails donne and a $100 haircut and I get a $5 haircut and fish. 8)

oh by the way I spent about $800 for my set up till now but I got used stuff and a a DIY stand and canopy.

I've spent close to a thousand dollars on my 29 gallon so far. That's not including the ten more pounds of LR or the order I have coming next week of inverts. It's expensive, but I do enjoy every minute of it. Once you get the cycle done, and you get things going the way you want it; it'll be nice to look at.

But have a plan before you start. I changed half way through, but things are very peaceful in my tank now. With the exception of a clown going to close to a jawfish, and the jawfish roaring at the clown.

Might as well jump in on the bandwagon and give an idea of my setup. :eyes:

To setup my 12 gal. QT was a little over $300. My main tank, on the other hand, is quite a different story. This 125 gal. is not even running yet and, according to my wife (who keeps track of all expenses around the house), says that I'm already over $3,000.00 I still have to get the LR, lighting system, make a custom canopy and get the livestock. 8O

Tho it is in CDN dollars, the difference is not that much and you will be able to get the general idea. As someone else said, it's hard to go cheap in this hobby, if not impossible. The sky is the limit. :lol:

8)

Yeah, umm, I don't want to even guess...I wait for my monthly paycheck to buy something new for the tank, every month...and trust me, I am nowhere near the end, there is always something else I want to buy :roll: . Whats cool about about it though is that everytime I order something it's like waiting for christmas. I wouldn't put any other hobby i have above this one!

Wow i think im doing pretty good then....
i have been doing extensive shopping around online, and i have priced out the lighting stuff for a 55g reef and i am at a total of $554.87 for all the hardware but thats with alot of DIY lighting. That price is with (2) 250w icecap electonic ballasts, a 2x110w VHO fulham ballast, and all the bulbs and reflectors etc.

i just purchased a nice 55g and seaclone 100 protein skimmer for a total of $90.

so atm i looking at $644.87 plus cost of plumbing, material to build my own stand. Luckily i dont have to buy pumps because i have aquired a few fixer uppers from my job at a pond supply store.

then come the LR, sand, and then the livestock

OMG! man I've been working on my tank for 4 years now and I JUST NOW bought my first coral. But I've also been unemployed for a while then got a job as part time and now unemployed again. Good thing my grandparents own a farm for me to make money.

fish are friends not food

And IMO seaclone is the worst skimmer there is out there. Well... It's atleast in the bottom

fish are friends not food

Back
Top Bottom