Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Unless you have a crazy amount of sps pwcs will replenish calcium. The big difference is light. The op has those, altjough appear to be less than desireable for sps and clams, should be gtg for leathers, zoas and most lps

Old 10-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

so with my lighting setup what type of reef should I be setting up?

Old 10-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can't really support anything under that lighting. I would upgrade to a 4 bulb t5 Ho fixture for soft corals and a 6 bulb for Lps and sps corals along with nems and clams. Look at the nova extreme fixtures. They are very good and a pretty good price.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
many people raise softies just fine under pc bulbs, they are not the best fixtures out there, but they are useable. This forum is becoming like an lfs, buy the best here... ocme on guys.
LPS Corals for your Saltwater Reef Aquarium - Aquatic Connection
right in their store description it says they use pc bulbs for low light lps. also for the op they have many labelled with lighting requirements.
mushrooms are all pretty low light corals, and of course there's nps which can be pretty cool too. oh and I nearly forgot zoa's which are my personal fav.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #15

I was trying to remember what corals I had before that I had no problem with - thanks for your help kurtyboh
Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

coral placement is a big factor with PC though. i would place LPS closer to the light source
Old 10-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

im not trying to sell anything here.if you read my post i said i was suggesting. ie what i think would be the best type of light for most corals. why would you get a fixture that you can only keep corals mid to upper part of the tank? power compacts are becoming outdated in today's terms. they just dont put out enough light over all. personaly i would get a 4 bulb fixture if i wanted to keep soft corals all over and some lps up by the top. for sps clams and nems i would go with a 6 bulb fixture. i go with the nova extrema fixtures merely because they are pretty cheep, well designed, each individually reflected, ho, cooling fans, two power cords for day and dusk lighting. they are just an over all great fixture. you can also look at some tek fixtures.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #18

The problem I had when I originally purchased lighting is that the tank is narrow. i.e.: there isn't too much room for lighting. If I wanted to replace my current lighting what would be the best option given the limited space of my tank's dimensions?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What are the dimensions of the tank? This will help in determining the best lights for you. Also what is your budged? And are you looking into keeping more things down the line such as Lps and Sps corals?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #20

The tank is a hexagon but the dimensions are roughly:
27" height
18" depth
48" width

I don't really have a fixed budget. I don't want to go crazy spending though. The cost/benefit analysis would determine which option I would choose. what do you recommend given this?

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com