Cost difference between reef tank and non-reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it is a hex tank I would maybe look into a single metal halide lamp at 250watt. A 27" deep tank is kind of hard to light. I am trying to wrap my head around the shape of the tank with that type of dimensions. For the best bang for your buck I would look into a metal halide.I would think a t5 fixture would be a little hard to fit onto such tank. I might be wrong, but could you post a pic of your tank to help out further. There really is so many options for lighting.

Maybe this will give you a better idea of the shape - the back is 48" the front is 32" and the two sides connecting the front to the back are about 12" each.

Ok that makes sense. That is a odd shaped tank. I would go with the metal halide due to the odd shape, depth of the tank and limited room. A single 250 watt metal halide will be plenty of light for you. Depending on the reflectors you might have the light dimm towards the back corners but I think this will be your best bet.

what would such a setup cost?

...and does everyone agree with tomchong's assessment?

my point was that he already has the pc's- they will certainly start a reef and allow the op to play around with some corals as he gets back into the hobby, then when/if he decides to upgrade his lights its too easy... everything is set he drops in a mh with t5 support and led night view... This way he can start his reef on the cheap and differ his cost over the next yr or so. I agree pc's are not anywhere near the best lights, but he has them and they do work.

kurtyboh said:
my point was that he already has the pc's- they will certainly start a reef and allow the op to play around with some corals as he gets back into the hobby, then when/if he decides to upgrade his lights its too easy... everything is set he drops in a mh with t5 support and led night view... This way he can start his reef on the cheap and differ his cost over the next yr or so. I agree pc's are not anywhere near the best lights, but he has them and they do work.

+1... there's really no need to upgrade the lighting when he already has the PC's... granted he wont have a ton of placement choices or coral choices, but it wouldn't be a wise idea for the op to go all out and buy a ton of high light corals when he's trying to ease back into it. Go with the current lights, get some easy beginner corals, once the tank stabilizes and you get a solid grasp on everything then upgrade the lighting and get more advanced corals

Go with led lights just returned the nova t5 ho it sounded like a airplane in my living room !! If I had 2 live with that 10 hours a day tank would be gone !!! Went with the marineland reef ready led there do cheap I put 2 over my tank for a few dollars more and the lighting is much brighter than the nova and they are paper thin with no fan !! Very happy now

Back
Top Bottom