Cost for Your SW Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hm, does not sound like a q tank at all but instead an additional show tank. Since the concept of a q tank is one that is only setup when quarinteening new creatures or treating fish for disease. A q tank thats setup all the time is really just a second show tank.

Hmm using your view of this situation it looks like I may be able to have three tanks in the house instead of two. That would be cool. We will have to see how this goes over with the wife. Thanks,

Just found this thread. Though I am not at all sure that I like it. I find that if I think to hard about all the money that has been sunk into my aquarium habit I might break the whole thing down lol. I have 58 gal Oceanic tank. i have no idea what the break down is but so far I belive I am bordering on the 3 grand range between livestock up keep and equipment. Not to mention that I am currently getting rid of my fishies because I have to have seahorses. Which means a species specific tank. When I think about the money I will spend for tank raised seahorses I cringe, But all and all its worth it! I wouldnt trade the obsession for anything! :D

I wish I would have seen this thread before I made the plunge into saltwater! hehe.

Anyways, It doesn't matter cause I wouldn't give it up now if I could!

I am addicted.

I would say that if you have a reef you are much better off not thinking about that new car you were going to get. most people have thousands invested. 0X

Well my initial stand, canopy, tank, skimmer, plumbing, r/o unit, lights, sump, powerheads, heater, etc ran me $2600. Add LR and LS (rock was uncured) another $700. Add livestock to date about $600.
Then with the velvet oubreak in Jan, a 40 gallon and a 10 gallon qt set up, another $500 or so with the meds. Ad another $400 for all the salt I went through with the water changes in qt.
Thats about $4900, and thats not including food, test kits, filter pads, etc.
And I wonder why my wife is ready to kill me. :wink:
BTW, am considering turning the 40 gallon into a reef tank.
Here we go again!! 8O :roll:

I have about $1300 into my 29 gal. not including the maintenance and electric. But it's worth every penny :wink: SW reef keeping is quite a rewarding hobby.

I don't even have a tank yet, and I've spent about $450 ... on books! I bought most of the ones listed on the recommended reading list. My hunger for knowledge is insatiable.

I confess I just skimmed most of this since I'm coming in kinda late on it, but here is my break down.

175gal bowfront, stand and canopy--2400.00
40gal Glass sump, drilled for 2 more units, DAS filter. 400.00
Lighting 500.00
Live rock. 400 pounds at 5.99 per pound (on a good day)... 2,396.00
Sand...25.00 a bag. (up to 8 bags as of now)....200.00
Skimmer 350.00
Power heads and pumps 400.00
Wave maker----100.00
Heater--45.00
Saltwater (just to fill it...not changes) 175.00
R/o machine--200.00
------------------------------------------------------
Grand total: $7,166.00

And I dont have a top off unit, Calc reactor, or a chiller. So you could add another 500 for that down the road.

Also...Clean up crew is as much part of the equipment as they are inhabitants.

I have seen many people say that this is an addiction. I have a strong issue with that phrase. :agrue:

In college I learned, I was a drunk :drinking: NOT an alcoholic, because I did not go to meetings and as such I feel I am not addicted, just obsessed :kiss: since I have yet to go to an aquarium meeting. (Not that I haven't looked!)

And now that I am so vigorously pursuing this hobby on-line, I believe I have gone from obsessed to cyber-stalking the hobby. :gangsta:

If this continues, I may be in more trouble than my little twisted mind can take. :drain:

Not to mention the $3,500 :shocked!: or so that I have plopped down since January.

And the only thing I can think after reading this thread, is that I want to go out and open my own LFS so I can take all of your money. :pimp:

:) :) :) Theres no such thing as addictions to smiles! :wink: :wink: :wink:

:p :) :D :eek: :lol: :wink:

PS. Ive got about $1900.00 In 2 1/2 months......Is there a crying smilie? (that makes no sense)

Did I mention that I have a 15 nano getting ready to go up too? :mrgreen:

PS- I do love smiles, I can only stand so much text without some kind of pictures.

150 gal FO, came with fluorecent lights, stand, cc, Sealife Premier 200 wetdry, and heater $1350.

I thought I was done and all I needed was fish. Roughly $2,700 later I have a great FO tank.

I would never add up the receipts though, think I might hit the bottle and have another addiction to worry about. :D

Remember, it is only an addiciton if you go to meetings otherwise it is a problem and we all have those. Denial, it is not just a state of mind, it is a way of life! 0X

I'm in the process of setting up a 120 gal AGA reef with dual overflows. So far, I have spent a total of $3,316.50 or $27.64 per gallon on equipment as detailed below:

ITEM TOTAL

Tank, Stand & Sump 1,100.00
* metal halide hood 500.00
Aqua C EV180 w/mag 395.00
* r/o unit 150.00
metal halide extra (250 watt) 150.00
inert sand 120.00
Refractometer 70.00
Metal Halide bulbs 10,000 k 175w 140.00
Supreme pumps 9.5 138.00
dosing pump 62.00
Float switch 60.00
Metal Halide bulbs 20,000 k 250w 44.00
Acrylic sheets for sump 42.00
Acrylic overflow Mount w/sock 48.00
Coralife trichromatic 40w bulbs 48" 44.00
* powerheads 180.00
Ground probe 13.50
faucet coupler 10.00
pvc plumbing 50.00

About $830 of the equipment is "legacy" (i.e. I've had it for years - items with a '*') I'm budgeting $500 for LR, and the fish/corals/inverts will be a 'work in process'. Include my electrical generator ($500), pH monitors ($150) and other test equipment, initial salt charge ($80), and I'm pushing $40/gal before I add the first fish/coral/invert. I have about $800 invested in 'nice to have' items and extras, after deducting those, I'm back to around $30/gal.

My first tank I spent about 700... Found out I bought junk I just upgraded to a 90 gal. I spent 2200 for the equipment and 800 for the rock and sand and I still need more plus ro/di unit and misc items. some where aroung 3300-3500.

Back
Top Bottom