Cost for Your SW Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't even want to know how much I have spent. Its easier just to spend a little at a time and don't think about it but....

$50 for 20gal tank
stand free from scrap wood.
PowerHead $30
filter $40
DIY Skimmer $30
lighting $86 (looking to upgrade though...)
Pump $30
DIY overflow $30
LR ~$150
10 gal sump $15
Sand $30
Fish $60
Corals $35
inverts $40
=626
I'm going to go cry now

I think I have spent about $2k. I probably need to spend about $1k more to make up for all the useless stuff I bought when I first started out and didn't do enough research.

Well...... it's getting close to the price of my (show) dog..... almost 3k ... no fish as of yet and not even a month into my first SW set up. I still need a few things before I add livestock, 1 or 2 more PH, a backup heater, long tongs or grabbers of some sort because I cant reach the bottom of the tank... yadda yadda

I have a 90g bow front, hubby and I are NOT DIYers... so this is actual retail price... Have had LR in it a week, it has had water and sand for 2.

Still a ways to go. I told hubby no more gifts we have to feed. =)

If cost is a big concern, here is something I have discovered:

Don't go any wider than 2 feet. This keeps lighting the tank in a "resonable" cost range. I have a 37 cube that I have just added a new lighting system to at a cost of 220 dollars. If I went to say, a 50 gallon tank, the cost would be so prohibiitive that I would not be able to afford it.

smaller tanks also mean less Live Rock, less natural sand, smaller filtration system, etc. It's just a bit easier on the wallet. Of couse, you are greatly limited by what you can put in there, but with plenty of research, you will find fish that you love.

Before I moved I had a 55 gal on the cheap.

55 gallon glass (used) came with HOB Filter $50
Wood Stand $100
Salt and testing equipment $40
Live sand from Boynton Beach, Florida 0$ (I know, but I did get a free crab lol)
about 10 pounds live rock $25
powerhead $10
Bio-wheel filter $60
3 Damsels $15
1 false percula clown $16
1 yellow tang $18
5-6 other fish that were not so lucky $50

Total $300

That was a FOWLR, now time to upgrade to full blown reef, gonna have to add a zero to my total.

thats a pretty good way to look at it.

If you wanna go with a reef tank, add a zero to your estimate.

hehe.

it seems that i get every i need really cheap.

55-tank and old stand $30
New stand and canopy $200 (real oak)
Sugar Sand 40lbs $35
Live Rock 100 Lbs $20
200G Bucket of Kent $50
SW Test Kits $30
HOB Penguin filter $55
Odyssea 48" PC 260W $125
3-214 powerheads $51
Livestock $40

total $636.00

20 Gallon FOWLR

Tanks and Stand (used)- $35
CC-$15
Argonite (hated the CC)-$15
Salt-$15
Base Rock-$30
SW Test kit-$30
Therometer-$2
Hydrometer-$15

And i dont even have the fish yet...

I spent a total of $1200 on my 40 gallon tank thus far, but a lot of the equipment was carried over from my FW tank.

Just bought a great used setup that is 1 years old and the MH's are 2 months. Used is the way to go. I find awesome deals in my reef club. My 30 gal with everything new was double the price. Not including all livestolk because I can't even go there :oops:

90 Oceanic RR
30 Oceanic Custom sump
Black wood stand
Canopy with 2 250's DQI MH, T5 acintic, and moons
Octypus-150 skimmer,
2 Maxi1200 Mods
60 lbs of LR
free Lawnmower Blenny

$700

$1,300 into tank, stand, hood, lighting, PH's, pump, air pum, heater and skimmer.
$ 300 in sand, cc, testing kits and br
$200-300 in LR that I'm planning on purchasing this weekend.

Still need to purchase a ro system, refractometer, heater, pump, rubbermaid to help with PWC's. With any of my hobbies I've learned that if done right it usually costs $$$. I almost have as much into starting up my tank as I have into my scuba equip. Although, I'm sure looking forward to sitting on the couch enjoying the beauty of a SW tank instead of taking to the water of Puget Sound in Dec. to get my fish fix. :)

I guess I lucked out... I bought an existing tank from Craigs list. The whole thing came complete, but it was in desperate need of a cleaning and PWC, also needed more cleanup crew, new light bulbs, etc. All in all, after the tank, parts, etc... I am only at about $400.
Anyone looking for another tank, I suggest checking your local Craigslist, as in Chicago area, I see a whole SW tank setup like every other week, at least.

total $2000. Its worth the investment. its peaceful Loooking at the tank every day.

Back
Top Bottom