Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2005, 04:32 AM   #81
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't even want to know how much I have spent. Its easier just to spend a little at a time and don't think about it but....

$50 for 20gal tank
stand free from scrap wood.
PowerHead $30
filter $40
DIY Skimmer $30
lighting $86 (looking to upgrade though...)
Pump $30
DIY overflow $30
LR ~$150
10 gal sump $15
Sand $30
Fish $60
Corals $35
inverts $40
=626
I'm going to go cry now

Old 11-30-2005, 09:09 AM   #82
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
250 dollars for my 10 gallon. It's probably close to 400 or more but I lost track lol.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:26 AM   #83
Aquarium Advice FINatic

priceless

steve r
Old 11-30-2005, 11:59 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I have spent about $2k. I probably need to spend about $1k more to make up for all the useless stuff I bought when I first started out and didn't do enough research.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:25 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I am at about 3 grand now...yeah, its insane alright. But cheaper than a drug addiction!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:12 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well...... it's getting close to the price of my (show) dog..... almost 3k ... no fish as of yet and not even a month into my first SW set up. I still need a few things before I add livestock, 1 or 2 more PH, a backup heater, long tongs or grabbers of some sort because I cant reach the bottom of the tank... yadda yadda

I have a 90g bow front, hubby and I are NOT DIYers... so this is actual retail price... Have had LR in it a week, it has had water and sand for 2.

Still a ways to go. I told hubby no more gifts we have to feed. =)
Old 12-30-2005, 11:01 AM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

If cost is a big concern, here is something I have discovered:

Don't go any wider than 2 feet. This keeps lighting the tank in a "resonable" cost range. I have a 37 cube that I have just added a new lighting system to at a cost of 220 dollars. If I went to say, a 50 gallon tank, the cost would be so prohibiitive that I would not be able to afford it.

smaller tanks also mean less Live Rock, less natural sand, smaller filtration system, etc. It's just a bit easier on the wallet. Of couse, you are greatly limited by what you can put in there, but with plenty of research, you will find fish that you love.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 12-30-2005, 12:25 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wish I would have seen it prior. I am hitting the $25k mark.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Before I moved I had a 55 gal on the cheap.

55 gallon glass (used) came with HOB Filter $50
Wood Stand $100
Salt and testing equipment $40
Live sand from Boynton Beach, Florida 0$ (I know, but I did get a free crab lol)
about 10 pounds live rock $25
powerhead $10
Bio-wheel filter $60
3 Damsels $15
1 false percula clown $16
1 yellow tang $18
5-6 other fish that were not so lucky $50

Total $300

That was a FOWLR, now time to upgrade to full blown reef, gonna have to add a zero to my total.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:15 AM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats a pretty good way to look at it.

If you wanna go with a reef tank, add a zero to your estimate.

hehe.

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com