Cost for Your SW Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is just a discussion to show what people can expect for an initial setup cost for different types of tanks for equipment. If nothing else, it should be interesting.

For a full blown reef, you can expect to spend $10.00 per gallon. For a standard SW tank you can expect to spend $5.00 per gallon, maybe a little less. That is speaking strictly "set up" costs.

After 8 months, I have approx $1700.00 invested in my 20 gallon reef tank. This is including all equipment, LR and animals. When I started the aquarium, I had the most expensive stuff on hand, I have invested about $700.00 in it since August.

Plus its not only the cost of equipment, and livestock. Ongoing expenses like electricty are a HUGE factor with full reef setups.

For example my electric bill went up about $30 a month when I brought the 80 gal tank to life.

I have no idea on costs as I dont keep track. Probably cause I dont wanna break down and cry as to how much $$$ has been spent.

I think you mean $100.00 a gallon Kevin, unless you know where I can get a 20 gallon reef for $200.00

or a 2.5 gallon for under $30.00

20 gallon reef for $200.00

Small tanks are a little more expensive, per gallon. I was thinking more along the lines of larger tanks, and the figures are approximate. If your good at DIY....It may be less.

Well, it still would not work, at all.

A 75 gallon tank would most likely be more than $750 dollars, right?

Lets put this into perspective.

Lets say the tank and stand is $300
Filtration system $150 (skimmer, or a wet/dry)
LR and LS $400 (with seeding and base rock)
Heaters- $40
Lighting-$400 with a canopy

Thats $1290, and I rounded it down, I understand that it isnt 100 though. I think you were closer, I win the slippery soap box award (came up with that line on my own) :wink:

just for tank,stand,sump our cost was 1800. Then you add 1200 for lighting, 300 for live rock, 250 for substrate and you are well over 20. per gallon for the 175.
This is before any livestock. This does not include any protein skimmer, supplemental lighting for the sump, and of the circulation items you would decide to have, nor heaters etc. This was bare bones water,liverock sand and tank.

And most would say we got a pretty darn good deal on the tank/stand/sump.

Live rock alone at 1 pound per gallon of water, substrate at app. 1.5 pounds per gallon alone would be a minimum of 6.50 per gallon. stand and tank at least 3.00 per gallon. filter, skimmer, water pumps, heater, lighting= 250.00 (or 5.00 per gallon if you go cheap for a 55 gallon tank) this does not take into account any livestock. and is FOWLR... and we are already at a minimum of 14.50 per gallon...
797.50. this does not include salt mix, ro/di water, fish, inverts, food, any needed media or upgraded lighting. I have a 5 gallon nano that I have 200.00 invested in. This is an expensive hobby any way you try to look at it!

This is one of the reasons I started this line in FW and SW, I wanted people to see what they are getting into and what they can expect.

This is one of the reasons I started this line in FW and SW, I wanted people to see what they are getting into and what they can expect.

hopefully it does not make people run away screaming obscentities.

75 gal. reef, 20 gal. sump & 15 gal. Refugium. After four years alot of trial and error with fish, coral, hardware & assc. I have spent approx. seven thousand dollars (my wife wants my credit cards back :wink: )
And I don't really consider my tank high tech. Don't start a reef unless you plan on spending lots of money over the years. I feel it is money well spent being I enjoy this hobby.

Money shouldn't be the object of owning a saltwater tank. It is the enjoyment of it's view and a hobby. Of course it cost money, My 180 gal. reef ready, oak cabinet, a wet dry w/pump, protien skimmer and two 6' light strips was a deal for $500 3 years ago. It was set up for 2 years as a fish only tank until I had to tear it down due to divorce. Make sure your other half is in this with you. :wink:

I have to agree with Kevin earlier in the thread. IF you are handy with things electrical and wood, it is roughly about $10.00 per gal. I setup a 55 with about $350. I built a full fledged canopy w/ 2 2 bulb 40 watt fixtures, for a whopping $35. and $100 for NO bulbs. I have a friend that wants the NO's and I am getting 2 175 MH's for $220.( Ushio 10K)
I have probably spent close to $250 on LR and $100 on Fish. $150 on Inverts.

So in all, $985 so far ( not including food, supplements, etc...)

$220 to go for the MH

So, hmmm 1k down and more to go>>>>> :lol: :twisted:

I wont even comment on how much I have in my saltwater setups, because my wife might be standing behind me reading this. LOL :lol:

$2300 should get you a nice start, just don't skimp, My budget was $1400 (already had the tank and stand) for my 75 gal.

lets see

2.5 gallon tank and glass lid - 15
powerhead - free, donated from a friend
live rock - mostly free, bought a 4 dollar piece that came with a few mushrooms
lighting - 30
canopy - free, found the wood from a different project
sand - 3
livestock - 3 bucks or so for 2 astrias

55 total...thats 22 bucks/gallon...

and i have plans of setting up a 29...maybe i'll have to rethink those plans...

No Skimping....

90 Gallon AGA Reef Ready 275 LFS
Oceanic Stand and Canopy 550 LFS
Quiet One pump 99 marineDepot
3 Maxi Jet Powerheads 19 per MarineDepot
Pro Heat II Titanium Heater 250W 45 DrFosters
Ebo Jaeger 200W 16 Doctor Fosters
Mag7 Pump 55 DrFosters
Berlin Classic Skimmer 155 DrFosters or Marine Depot
Seatest and DeepSix Hydrometers 7.50 per either
Ground Fault circuit Interruptor 20 Dr Fosters
2 Power Strips 18 per HomeDepot