Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to zephyr
cost of salt

What is the average cost of aquarium salt?
And also, what is the exchange rate between american and australian dollars? About 55? (may come in handy!!)
Thankyou for any help,
Justin

Old 05-24-2003, 07:47 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

The average cost of salt is going to be regional for LFS. The on-line vendors are going to usually be close to each other. Fishfreek just posted about his experience with buying salt from www.thatpetplace.com. Around where I'm at...a 50g bag of Instant Ocean is around $15.00, I don' know the exchange rate for US to Australlian, you should be able to get that info from your bank.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 09:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Around Cleveland it is about 54.00 for a 7 gallon buckette of instant ocean. Is that good or bad price?
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 09:15 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Well to give you an idea on how prices vary.

The cost for a 200 gal bucket of Instant Ocean salt at my LFS that is just down the street is $70 8O where as if you drive about 45min you can get the exact same stuff for $49.99. It all has to do with competetion. My local LFS has no local competition for saltwater so they can charge what ever they want to charge where as the LFS that has it for $49.99 has a few other petshops that deal in saltwater in the same city.

Online I got the same bucket for $36.00 but had to pay shipping and by the time shipping was added it came to $53.80. The reason is the bucket of salt is very heavy at 60lbs per bucket so shipping is expensive.

Given its expense to ship I would think salt might be overly expensive in austrialia unless you purchase an austrialian brand or say Instant Ocean has an austrialian plant they produce it in for you guys down under.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 05:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to zephyr
Sounds expensive! Though I expected it would be. Thanx for the replys
Justin

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com