cost of salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zephyr

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the average cost of aquarium salt?
And also, what is the exchange rate between american and australian dollars? About 55¢? (may come in handy!!)
Thankyou for any help,
Justin

The average cost of salt is going to be regional for LFS. The on-line vendors are going to usually be close to each other. Fishfreek just posted about his experience with buying salt from www.thatpetplace.com. Around where I'm at...a 50g bag of Instant Ocean is around $15.00, I don' know the exchange rate for US to Australlian, you should be able to get that info from your bank.

Well to give you an idea on how prices vary.

The cost for a 200 gal bucket of Instant Ocean salt at my LFS that is just down the street is $70 8O where as if you drive about 45min you can get the exact same stuff for $49.99. It all has to do with competetion. My local LFS has no local competition for saltwater so they can charge what ever they want to charge where as the LFS that has it for $49.99 has a few other petshops that deal in saltwater in the same city.

Online I got the same bucket for $36.00 but had to pay shipping and by the time shipping was added it came to $53.80. The reason is the bucket of salt is very heavy at 60lbs per bucket so shipping is expensive.

Given its expense to ship I would think salt might be overly expensive in austrialia unless you purchase an austrialian brand or say Instant Ocean has an austrialian plant they produce it in for you guys down under.

Back
Top Bottom