Cost of SW Tank set up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fltekdiver

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks to this great forum, I've had allot of help on my 40G Breeder FW tank set up, which is now up and running for 4 months, built the stand myself, and designed the whole tank myself, LED lighting etc, see here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ed-lights-moon-lighting-dyi-stand-245944.html

I love my FW tank set up, and was wondering whats the cost of a SW tank set up, for a novice like myself? As you can see, I spent money on my 40G breeder tanks, using two LED lighting, Fuval 406 Canister filter etc

I like wider tanks, rather then tall and skinny, like a typical 55G tank, which I believe is only 12" wide

Is it possible to get a 75-90G , SW tank started up with LED lighting for say under $1,500.00 ?

I'm thinking 75G to 90G good size to start?

I also like the 45G bow tank

I believe the sump's run around $250?

Not sure what the cost of LED lights would be, from researching, I believe they need to be Watts a pc

Acrylic tank over glass to run the sump pump etc?

I don't like loud tanks, thats the reason I did the canister filter on the FW tank

Whats the energy cost each month on running a Sw Tank , with all these pumps etc running?

I believe to start would be :

DYI stand
Tank
Lighting
Filtration
Sump tank
Substrate = sand
Power heads
Heaters
chillers ? My house is 77-78 year round, is that to warm?

Thanks for your input, If a 75G or 90G is to much to start, and over whelming, I'd like to start with a 45G bow front tank maybe

The big question is do you want corals or not? That will greatly increase the price of a setup.

Not with my first SW setup. Maybe after a year or two when I'm more comfortable

I really don't want to start off having $3K into something I don't fully understand and want to enjoy the hobby like I have the last few months

I'm so excited about this, as I can't imagine having a SW tank set up, and being successful at it as we'll.

I must have spent 25+ hours in the past several months researching SW tanks , thus is my first post into the adventure

If your gonna do a fowlr (fish only with live rock) then it really won't cost much more then doing a FW setup unless you wanna start buying some extra bells and whistles for your tank. The big money comes when you start buying reef lighting, protein skimmers, and corals.

If your gonna do a fowlr (fish only with live rock) then it really won't cost much more then doing a FW setup unless you wanna start buying some extra bells and whistles for your tank. The big money comes when you start buying reef lighting, protein skimmers, and corals.

Also depending on the fish you want! And what types as well!

I'm so excited about this, as I can't imagine having a SW tank set up, and being successful at it as we'll.

I run a 120 SW a 55 SW and a 30 FW. :) I would say if you can start with a 90 do it. If you start it out as a FOWLR tank you can slowly change it into a reef tank. However, if your end result is to make a reef then I would build it with that in mind, ie lighting skimmer sump, etc. then when you wanna start making the change, your basically ready.

Great point, I would like to buy everything upfront once.

I was thinking I see tanks all over CL for cheap. So my thought was, if I buy a tank for $100 bucks, make the stand, buy a RO/DI for around $250, sump $250, protein skimmer $250, power heads, heating then I have all the big ticket items paid for $1,000.00

Initial big cost is lighting, then set it all up, buy live rock/sand, let that grow a few months on its own for ammonia reasons, let it cycle, then start it off

Total invested so far $1,500.00 with led lighting and live rock?

If I can spread that over a few months I can do it

Great point, I would like to buy everything upfront once.

I was thinking I see tanks all over CL for cheap. So my thought was, if I buy a tank for $100 bucks, make the stand, buy a RO/DI for around $250, sump $250, protein skimmer $250, power heads, heating then I have all the big ticket items paid for $1,000.00

Initial big cost is lighting, then set it all up, buy live rock/sand, let that grow a few months on its own for ammonia reasons, let it cycle, then start it off

Total invested so far $1,500.00 with led lighting and live rock?

If I can spread that over a few months I can do it

you can make a sump for less then 250 just a tank with some baffles

Let me try and toss some prices up for your list here.

I believe to start would be :

DYI stand: This will vary depending on how elaborate you want to get. $30-$100

Tank: This will really make or break you you can't go new with your budget. Look to CL for a deal. For just a tank it should be around $100

Lighting: For just fish you can use anything but I would plan on something for coral since everyone eventually will add them. Take a look at Reef Breeders LED Fixtures I use one of their photon32s over my 75 and it works great for anything you want to put in. Could also go with 2 value fixtures if you don't care for the controller. $450 for photon32 $360 for 2 values.

Filtration: This would be your skimmer. Get something rated for twice your tank size. Bubble Magus and Reef Octopus are 2 good brands. You do not need this at first and would be fine waiting on it. Around $200

Sump tank: Make your own out of whatever you can fit under your tank. 40 gallon breeder would be good. Around $50-60 depends on what you pay for the tank.

Substrate = sand: You want some kind of argonite. Skip the "live" sand its pointless. $40

Power heads: Korelia and Aqueon makes some nice options. $100

Heaters: $30

chillers ? My house is 77-78 year round, is that to warm?: As long as you don't get Metal Halide lights you should be fine without one.

RO/DI: You will need this bulkreefsupply has some good options. $130

Return pump: $80

Refractometer: $30

That is $1230 for what is there. Your cost will really depend on what kind of deal you can find on a tank.

Another big expense is rock. You will want around 1 lb per gallon. Live rock can get pretty expensive, you can keep costs down by using half live rock half base rock.

I bought a 110 gal complete system with most bells and whistles for $800 of Craigslist. It was fully stocked with LR, a sump skimmer reactor 4xT5HO ATO and fish and cuc. It even included a stand although I didn't want it and built my own built-in stand/shelf.
Fully reef ready.

Right now a lady is selling a 40 gal BC also reef ready with everything above for $700.

You should be able to find a great used system if you are willing to wait and see.

Just make sure if you buy something off CL you water test it, or better yet buy one that's up and running already. I moved a 120 from about 40 miles from my house. It had everything with it and it was up and running when I got there to help break it down.

Thanks guys, I'm going to meet tonight to buy a 75 Gallon Rimless tank that was set up 6 months ago, everything brand new bought 6 months ago, and now they upgraded to a 120G tank, lol

It comes with a 75 gallon rimless tank,stand, mini G protein skimmer,9.5 mag pump ,30 gallon refugium, 2 hydor 550 powerheads and 4 bulb t5 light with moonlights

See the thread from CL here: 75 gallon rimless saltwater fishtank complete set up

Here's a You Tube Video I found, I LOVE this tank, 75G rimless, OMG, how much is all that reef stuff and fish you think he has invested?

75 Gallon Rimless Reef - YouTube

If you get a chance keep those lights as a backup and get another set. I have them, they aren't bad, but the have been known to blow the ballast. That lights about 130.00 on eBay.

Also, it may look like they have fans in them, but they are simply vents and not fans.

Go with a more well known name.

Thanks !! I apprecaite any advise !! I'll use them for now, and maybe get LED in the new few months

I'm making a list now, I forgot I'll need to buy a RO/DI unit also

I'm paying $500 for everything, so I'm REALLY happy to start with such a nice set-up, and can start buying everything else

Looks like in a few weeks, I'll be able to get everything up and running , and add some live sand and live rock with dry rock, and let it sit for month to get going, cycle etc, before adding fish

Back
Top Bottom