Cost to run a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biotoxin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I realize that any hobby that someone gets into, there is the initial investment for startup and learning curve. The cost of the aquarium and accessories, livestock and stands are something i come to expect when i jumped into this. My main concern with a reef tank is the costs after everything is purchased and running. Metal Halides, PCs, skimmers, pumps and other electric hogs are what im leary about and id just like some feedback from you guys(and girls) about your electric bills and if they spiked at all. The month to month costs is what im trying to pin down and see where i possibly stand in the long run. My main tank would be a 55 gallon reef system or fish only. Any info id appreciate.

My electric billed raised $45 - $50 per month... for mine...

The cost of maint items is roughly $25 to $30 depending on what I need and what I can put off until the next month....

My electric bill wan't grossly more than it used to be, but my spending habits sure changed! If I could only stop buying whatever I see in front of me at the store................ :roll:

Mine have jumped about 10-15 bucks extra per month. Thats with running 2 heaters, a ph, a fluval filter, skimmer, and power compact lights.

We have a caculator on this site that can help you calculate how much your electric bill will go up per month. Unless you have high power lights its doubtful you will notice anything more than maybe a $5 increase.

Mine went up $30 or so when I put my 80 gal tank online but I also have close to 400W of light and two 250W heaters that cycle on/off aswell as a pump that pulls over 100W easy.

Other monthly costs would include salt. Depending on how much you do water changes you might not go thru salt that much. Other consumables would be bulbs every 9-12 months. Test kits, chemicals (if you dose), food.

Back
Top Bottom