Could it be a fast cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonographe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I began a 100g to-be reef tank about a week ago. Added DSB, live rocks, and a JBL mikroorganism small bag three days ago. Sliced raw shrimps was added two days ago.
Since then I did testings every day. Ammonia testing (JBL) always result in a negligible value, and so does nitrite (tetra) testings. With curiousity I just did a nitrate test and result in 12.5 mg/l (tetra).

Is it possible that I missed the ammonia and nitrite increase during those periods? Or the nitrate I'm reading is just a "left-over" brought over in the live rocks?

I would like to share a picture of my tank and a small crab that was already in the rock when I arranged them.

Thanks.

What are the exact values. If the live rock and sand you used where cured then its possible the bio bed on the rock and sand ws such tha tit was able to handle the ammonia.

Of course if you just added the shrimp two days ago it could be that they have not started to really breakdown yet.

I would give it another week and then add your first fish or two.

According to the color chart comparison, ammonia and nitrite were always zero when I did the tests. The rocks are cured, but I don't think the sand is.

I agree that I should wait at least a week before adding anything, since there is a possibility that the testing package for ammonia i bought was already expired. These testing packages do not sell well here :D

Thanks and I'll keep the results posted.

What is the scale on the test kit? Does it go from 0 to 1 or is there some level between like 0 - .5 - 1 or 0 - .2 - .5 - .7 - 1?

I am unfimular with the JBL test kits.

Back
Top Bottom