Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
couple of filter questions

Hellowell i'm getting ready to start my tank swap, to sum up the plans, i'm moving my 45 gallon (ish ) freshwater tank to a 55 gallon hex tank, then converting the fresh tank to saltwater to upsize from my current 12 gallon Eclipse. *I was looking at the filter I got with the hex, its a Emperor 280 i think. large filter with biowheel. *Looking at the size of this, i was wondering about instead of puting a heater in my tank put two smaller (for length) heaters in the filter and then put either ceramic tubes or liverock rubble in there with it,Eventually i'd like to put a sump under the tank, but i was thining this would get me by for a while, i'm hoping in a year or 2 if this setup goes good i'll go even bigger and do the sump then, or else build a 10 gallon one for this setup, not sure yet really, just right now its more then I want to get involved with.thoughts?

Bill_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Sounds alright, you are probably going to want to get a couple more power heads or something to keep the water moving in your tank. I don't think that emperor will output enough to prevent a lot of dead spots.

Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
well gonna try out this idea, i like not having the heaters in the DT, cant put a sump in on the hex. Heaters fit completely in the filter box, got a bag with the ceramic in there, and i put a sponge temporarily to help clean out the sand Bits that are floating.
Bill_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com