Couple of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokiums

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is running beautifully so far, however, I have two questions. Probably stupid, but I'd your input. My ammonia is gone and my nitrites are none existant. My calcuim is at 400ppm, but

1. my pH drops during the night. I'm not sure why, but during the days, while I'm topping my tank of with 1 gallon of RO with Kalkwasser, my pH stays at 8.3. In the mornings, it drops to 7.9. Once the lights go on, it starts to go up. Why? My fuge currently has nothing in it except a 6in LS base. Should I install a light on it already, just to help with the pH?

2. Is a heater necessary? My tanks temp drops about 2 degrees from the time the lights go off, till they turn back on in the am. Maybe the question above will also solve this problem.

Let me know what you guys think.

1. my pH drops during the night. I'm not sure why, but during the days, while I'm topping my tank of with 1 gallon of RO with Kalkwasser, my pH stays at 8.3. In the mornings, it drops to 7.9. Once the lights go on, it starts to go up. Why? My fuge currently has nothing in it except a 6in LS base. Should I install a light on it already, just to help with the pH?

When you say you are "topping off" with a gallon of Kalk, you aren't just dumping it in are you? This would cause your pH to spike if you are doing this. Kalk must be dripped.

In an established tank it is normal for the pH to go down at night and up in the daytime. This is because photosynthesis is taking place during the daytime which removes Co2 from the system. This causes the pH to go up. At night when photosynthesis stops, excess Co2 builds which causes the pH level to fall.

2. Is a heater necessary? My tanks temp drops about 2 degrees from the time the lights go off, till they turn back on in the am. Maybe the question above will also solve this problem.

It really depends on what temperature you want to keep your tank set at and how cold the building is you house your tank in. I like to keep my tank at 82F so a heater is needed. Also since winter is here, I like the safety of knowing that if a cold spell is coming, I have a heater that will prevent my tank from getting too cold.

2 degrees is nothing to worry about, btw. Mine swings 2-3 degrees a day when the lights go on and off.

2 degrees is nothing to worry about, btw. Mine swings 2-3 degrees a day when the lights go on and off.
Is that above the 82F? So your saying that your tank hits a high of 85F or is it the opposite? Invertabrates are very sensitive to changes in water temp!

Smokiums what size tank are you running i would recommend on larger tanks to have 2 heaters in for a constant and more accurate temp. What kind of lights are u running? A fan may be needed for the cooling.

Thanks for all the input. Surprising enough my tank has only been running for a little over a week now and I have 0 trace of ammonia and nitrites. I did everything by the book, or at least what I read on AA.

I do drip kalkabout a gallon a day depending on my water level. I also bought Tech I and Strontium & Molybdenum. I haven't started using either. I figure, I'd stop on things at a time. What do you think of these additives?

My temp swings btw 78/79 during the overnights and 80/81 during the day. I guess that's not to bad. I plan to pick a titanium heater.

I have a 72 gallon bow with roughly a 35-40 gallon refuge underneath. I'm using a 4x65 watts PC light fixture.

Thanks again everyone. Don't forget to let me know what you think of those additives?

smokiums said:
Thanks for all the input. Surprising enough my tank has only been running for a little over a week now and I have 0 trace of ammonia and nitrites. I did everything by the book, or at least what I read on AA.
I do drip kalkabout a gallon a day depending on my water level.
These two statements have me a bit confused. If I am understanding correctly this is a new tank? You do not need to worry about the ph at this point as it will be dramatically affected by the tank cycling. You also do not need any additives, especially that kalkwasser. Until the tank has finished it's cycle, the only thing you need to do is monitor the NH3, NO2 and NO3.

I also bought Tech I and Strontium & Molybdenum. I haven't started using either. I figure, I'd stop on things at a time. What do you think of these additives?
Don't waste your money on additives like this. More often you will do more harm than good and greatly skew an otherwise balanced water chemistry. These types of elements are best replenished by simple water changes. FWIW, never add anything you cannot test for and always test before you add. :wink:

My temp swings btw 78/79 during the overnights and 80/81 during the day. I guess that's not to bad. I plan to pick a titanium heater.
IME, constant temps are just as important. I will often adjust my heater to match the max temp of the lights when they are all running providing it does not go above about 81ish°. That way when the lights go off, you do not get a drop in temp.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve. So in your opinion, all these additives are no good, right? I was only adding the kalk because, I have 80lbs of LR and some other guys from AA recommended it. I plan to do a water change next week. My tanks have been up for about 10days. My ammonia and nitrite are all 0, my lfs just verified them also(I took some water just in case). What I'm not certain of, is whether or not the tank has completed it's cycle. I saw the ammonia rise, but never saw the nitrite rise. That could have been because, I never tested for it until my ammonia was 0. Now both are 0 and my lfs store said that my nitrates look good.

I don't know. Decision, decisions, decisions......

If you used well cured live rock there is a good chance you went through the cycle period fast. If you have zero NH3 and NO2 + some NO3, then it is quite likely. Do not be lulled into a false sense of security though and be in a rush to add things. You still need to give the tank time to stabalize and make sure animal additions are done slowly and are well thought out.

smokiums said:
So in your opinion, all these additives are no good, right? I was only adding the kalk because, I have 80lbs of LR and some other guys from AA recommended it. I plan to do a water change next week
Until the tank starts to support more scleractinian animals that require chem additions, the kalk is not really needed nor are many of the other additives you will find on the LFS shelf. They are better off left there collecting dust. For the LR, the water changes will do much of what you need and unless you are testing the levels, there is a good chance you may overdo it and cause precipitation. As Biggen pointed out your ph flucuations are normal and you really do not need be concerned.
What are your alk and Ca readings at this point?

Cheers
Steve

I just checked my ammonia and nitrite again, all zero's. Thank God. The only reason I started dosing Kalk was because of the quality rock I received. Since, it's aqualcultured rock, there are tons of good things already growing on the rock not to mention all the inverts it came. I have over 10 crabs crawling all over the place and few snails too.

I have not tested my alk yet, but that's the next test I plan to buy. My Ca is 400ppm or 20 drops. :)

I'm going to hold off adding any other chemicals for now. I plan to do a 10-20% water change next week and go from there.

Thanks, again for everything.

Back
Top Bottom