Couple of Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdrake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 90 up and running for a couple of months now. I only have 2 percs and a few shrimp and hermits in the tank. I was thinking of adding some combination of these over the next several weeks:

Flame Angel
Powder Brown Tang
Yellow Tank
Saddelback Butterfly
Niger Trigger
I want a variety of color in the tank, any suggestions on what order or groups I should add??

I also have a fair amount of brown algae in the tank. It isn't taking over the tank and is not a huge problem but it is unsightly. I tested the water and all levels are correct. (No recordable PO4 in the tank) I also bought a PO4 eliminator (Phosban) by Seachem but have not used it since the test for PO4 came back clean.

I have been running twin Daylight (Full spectrum) lights for about 8 hrs. a day. I switched to 1 blue and 1 full spectrum today.

Any thoughts on if this will help??

The brown algae is probably just diatoms and will have to run their course. You may want to reconsider on the niger trigger. He will eat your crabs and snails. The rest looks alright to me. You should add both tangs at the same time if possible so one doesn't have time to establish territory and get mean about it.

Brown algaes are caused by silicates not phosphates. You can add some snails or just let them burn off on their own. Do you plan on corals in the tank? I am not sure about all your wish list fish but the flame angel may harass corals.

I would reconsider the butterfly and the flame angel as these fish aren't exactly reef safe. You might get lucky but why chance it. It's always a risky proposition when adding cautionary fish.

I am planning on a Fish Only tank.

Any suggestions or comments on the lighting in regards to algae?

Also what order for the fish.

If you want inverts you still have to watch which fish to get. As far as your algae it probably isn't due to light and more because your tank is fairly new and will probably go away.

Back
Top Bottom