Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

couple of somewhat newbie questions

I got a 10 g nano setup from a friend a few years ago. For reasons I had to let it go. I have decided recently to start one again, but this time I'm going for a 29 g.

Q1. I have some salt left over, it's Oceanic in a blug jug. Is other brands of salt compatiable as long as it's natrual salt?

Q2. I have a book from about 8 or so years ago that is about fresh and saltwater set up. It talks about pH levels but says don't worry about salt water pH, but yet I've read stuff about it and my API test kit has pH testing for SW. So do I need to worry about pH or not.

Q3. I've read different opionions on air quality, I've seen comments on making sure you oxyginate your water, and others said no because it causes more alge and such. I have a Marineland Magnum 350 canister filter that I am useing, because it was free. should I add a airstone and air pump? I've never really seen on in a SW tank before.

Edit: one more, I read somewhere that I should not use charcoal in a SW tank, the poster did not say, said he would explain it later. I can no longer find the post.
Thanks for your help.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

1. Mixing salts should not make a difference.

2. As long as your ph is 8.1-8.4 you should be okay.

3. You should not need to oxygenate water if you have good movement on the surface from powerheads. A skimmer oxygenates water too, but without all the tiny bubbles popping up top and causing salt creep.

If you do not have a skimmer, I would go with that over a canister. Easier to maintain and does not trap stuff and become a nitrate factory, like mechanical filters do. A hang-on-back will do the job if you do not plan to use a sump. If you use a canister, be ready to do frequent media changes to avoid that build-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks Todd. Only reason I'm using the canister is that it was free. I do have a couple hang ons that were givin to me also but they have no tops and I don't now what brand they are to get new tops for them. I did use the one with a 10 g nano but I didn't like the water evaporation I had to deal with without the top.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you talking about the tops of the cup on the skimmer? Post pics of the skimmer and someone will probably know.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No, my hang on back filters. I have two. I'll put pics up later when I have time

Tags
newb, newbie, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com