Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Read ccCapts post again. You do not fill evaporated water with "SALTWATER"!!!!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would go to your LFS (Local Fish Store) and get a refractometer or at minimum I would get a hydrometer. Then slowly bring the salt content to where it needs to be.

Also Welcome to Aquarium advice

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
make sure that if you intend to cover your tank with any screen, the holes are not large enough for your jumper to fit through. they don't jump blindly, they aim at the holes. they can see them. i once witnessed a pearly jawfish jump through a hole in the cover the size of a dime.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a 75g FOWLR tank that came with glass covers. The back 2" of the covers are plastic so that you can cut it around the equipment. At the moment I don't have a skimmer, and am running a canister filter with no sump. I also have a 750 gph powerhead pointed toward the water surface. After reading this thread I am concerned about having my tank sealed off from air.

So the question is, how much air is enough air? If I were to drill holes in the back 2" of plastic in the cover, would that allow enough "fresh" air to be benificial? With this method I estimate that I have about 1/4 of that area open, or 24 sq. in. The total surface area of the top of the tank would be about 960 sq. in. So I really have about 2 1/2% open. Would this be enough, or do I need a lot more? My wife really likes the idea of having it covered, but I know with it totally sealed I am already seeing a drop in PH.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I would probably make your self some new covers as described in this thread out of mesh and a frame. That will help your PH problem and then you won't have to worry about the air exchange. Tank would still be covered and wife would still be happy. It isn't often you get a everybody wins situation. : )
Old 10-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbkathri View Post
...but I know with it totally sealed I am already seeing a drop in PH.
What is your pH in the morning? What is it in the evening?
Old 10-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, Kurt is correct. do that and if your PH keeps droping that you don't have enough gas exchange and need to vent more. Testing your PH would be the only way unless you have excess to an Orp (Oxidation reduction potential), monitor.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know this is slightly off topic but can i cover one of my sumps with a top to cut down moisture in my dt stand as it is causing mould on the inside of the stand,as the sump is small will this effect the ph?
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

First, what is causing all of that splash in your sump?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I am thinking of buying two pieces of glass 17x27 inches to cover the sides that are not covered by the other piece of glass that came glued to the inside of the aquarium. The reason is because I suspect a lot of dirt and dust is falling into the water and causing excess nutrients since the aquarium is in a covered porch but outside the house. The 50 micron filters get dirty and clogged too fast. But I'll leave like 2 inches at each side for air circulation.

Tags
cover

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com