Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
na..that's way too much food.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah my tank is cycled, PLUS just a several days ago I went and got another lb of LR plus the guy threw in an extra .5 lb for free and I got about 75-100 free Astrea Starfish and a small free peice of coral that the guy says is dead but he was hookin me up so much I'll bet he said that on purpose and threw it off the plug onto the ground 'cause he knew I would pick it up, so who knows, it looked alive to me... then I also got a nesarrius(sp?) snail for my sand-bed and he threw in a free random snail and two other white Starfish, idk what kind they are but they are still small but I bet they get a lot bigger He also tested my tank water and said the salinity is pretty high but not crazy so I've already changed some water, and he tested my filtered tap water and said it was a bit dirty but not enough not to use it to top off my tank, I'm gonna get a new filter for it soon so I'll bet that takes care of the little bit of dirtiness. I ALSO got a new light bulb, a 15watt that I put in my lamp, its a bit dim for me but it will work for now till I get my Light strip and a couple of better bulbs, and the peice of coral is looking like it's doing ok so i think its alive.

So, my tank is well and happy now! My LFS guy also gave me a free peice of rock to put in so my hermies can get out of the water for a bit, apparently they like to do that. Thanks for all your help guys!!! If there is anything else PLEASE let me know!!!

Old 10-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

your lfs has no idea how "dirty" your tap water is. he most likely used a T.D.S. meter, if anything at all, and all that tells you is you have "X" amount of something in your water. it does not tell you what that something is.

those little starfish stay small, and you'll probably see them in your tank without manually introducing them. i imagine they are tiny brittle stars.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah probably.. lol Um hey, how do astrea Starfish reproduce? are they A sexual or is more than 1 needed???
Old 10-27-2010, 02:52 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Freak

I happened to be at a local glass place and asked about how much light 1/4" thick glass would hold back. The guy said that UV light might be stopped a bit but fluro tube lights would be negligible. He said you could go nuts and order star bright glass but it was four times the cost and in aquarium application you wouldn't notice rthe diff.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:07 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

The biggest problem isn't the glass... it's the condensation that can build up on it and blocking the light.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

starfire glass. and don't forget salt creep. i would make a grate to cover the tank with and call it a day.

Tags
cover

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com