crab questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thisanthrope

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my 10 gal nano reef has been cycling for over two months now. In the excitment I went right out and purchased some livestock with only a small amount of research on these things. I purchased a emerald crab, 8 small blue leg hermit crabs, green star polyp, and yellow polyp.

my question is will the emerald crab live in such a small reef?

I saw him pick at some red algea very close to the yellow polyps, will he eat all the red algea before it can be established?

the last question I feel alittle silly for asking but do I need to supply larger shells for the hermits when they get bigger?

I have two emerald crabs in a 7 gal. They mow down all the algae nicely. They climb all over the coral, but never seem to damage it.

thanks, but where do you buy extra shells? can you go to a crafts store and expect the crabs to move into any random shaped larger shell?

Usually your LFS has them. I would hesitate on craft store ones because they might, key word might, treat them or glaze them somehow.

I asked my LFS if they gave any away and the guy gave me a handfull of about 20 or so. I think if i asked him if they sold any, he would have made up some sort of price for em! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom