Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
crabs snails and shrimp

do crabs snails and shrimp count for anything in inches for fish compacity for a tank thanks guys

my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 06:08 PM   #2
steve-s

None whatsover. The only concern will be for larger growing decorative shrimp that can get quite large like coral banded shrimp. They also do not tolerate other shrimp species well. Mobile inverts do not really detract from available fish space though.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-19-2003, 06:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks alot so i was thinking of getting 2 coral banndeds if i do i cant get any other shrimp correct?
my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
Old 10-19-2003, 06:18 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
thanks alot so i was thinking of getting 2 coral banndeds
Unless the tank is quite large I would not suggest that. CB's are not even tolerant of each other unless mated and getting a pair can be very exspensive. I would instead suggest just one.

Quote:
if i do i cant get any other shrimp correct?
Not really. It depends on the set up of the tank. Providing the other shrimp added have ample places to hide and the CB has sufficient territory to claim there really shouldn't be to many issues. I have a peppermint with a CB in a 27 and although the CB chases it off when the pepp comes too close, the CB is much too slow to catch the other shrimp.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-19-2003, 06:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks i will go with one i have a 60g with plenty of hidding spots i really kije the cb he is cool

Old 10-20-2003, 03:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Actually, shrimp like the CB crank out a lot of ammonia for their size, but ammonia is also the easiest waste product to get absorbed via nitrogen cycle.

I also consider the CB to be the best looking of the bunch, but they are the most aggresive. I have one about 3" long that has caught two pretty good size cleaner shrimp just a bit smaller, and ate both. This is with a 55gallon with plenty of rock. He also catches bristle worms on occasion and has shredded the tail on my maroon clown a few times. My CB ignores my hermits, and gets kicked in the face when he messes with my sally lightfoot.

If it weren't for his feelers almost a foot across and security guard like attitude I'd trade him in for a couple of cleaners or fire shrimp in a heartbeat. The cleaners are far more beneficial if you have large fish like angels or butterflies in the same tank. One shop in town has a large CB with a body about 5" across, and he will catch larger fish.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

wowee, that is a big CB!!!

Mine just molted again and is hiding while he hardens up. Now his antennae are about a foot across.

I have 35-40 red leg hermits in with him in a 55SW and they all get along.

Tags
crab, crabs, rim, shrimp, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com