Craigslist live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowsdime

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I'm a newb, am about to start my first SW tank this weekend, I just saw this ad on cl for live rock this guy has a 5 yr established tank and is selling his rock for 4$ a lb I'm gunna go check it out Sunday, he's gunna wait to change his water and hook me up with his water too does this sound like a good idea, I figure the water would help get the cycle in the tank started

most of the beneficial bacteria are on the rock not in the water but 4 a lb is pretty good locally they charge atleast in my area 6.99

They want anywhere from 7-10 at the stores around here. I'm just worried about jumpin into this there's not even water in my tank yet ya kno

so where do you plan on storing the lr? while you you get the tank ready?

Funny you should ask that was my next question! The fish store near my house sells ready to go premixed ro should I go there tonight maybe and get some and fill my tank and get the filtration going?

Check for hitch hikers such as aiptasia and other bad guys, you can find a good list of them in the link in my signature. Just use his water to transport it in buckets, but use your own, newly mixed water in your tank. Get yourself a RO/DI unit and a big bucket of salt instead of buying pre-mixed water. It it more economical and efficient in the long run, especially since you don't need to run to the store every time you need to do a water change.

Well I was just updated via email hes Doin a pwc and it's. 250g tank, he said he would have more than enough to fill my 46, I haven't seen the his tank yet but if I get there and it's a good looking tank with alert fish and good water quality would that be an ok idea? Oo p.s I do have a rodi I just have to hook it up for future water changes

holy crap 7-11 bucks a pound, thats even more them my LSF they want 5.99 a pound. as far as unwanted hitchhickers put the rock in 1.040 sg water and all critters will soon evacuate the rock, allowing you to pick and choose what you want to kee and wat you want to get rid of.

put the rock in a bucket of water to cure and make sure any phosphates that are leeched in the rock are removed so they don't leech into your system.

Just use his water for transport, no further. There is little to no bacteria in the water, so it's rather useless. I would just stick the rock in your tank and allow it to cure in there, cycling the tank.

The tank I'm getting everything from is a 5 yr old tank cycled and looking good from what I see, my tank doesn't have a drop of water in it

use the water he's offering and fill your tank. get the water moving and heated. also, transport the rock submerged in the water to limit die-off.
why is he selling the rock?

He's moving and not able to take the tank with him, I figured that would b fine X and in a week or so do a pwc

Thanks for your help like your profile pic I love that movie! I'll keep you guys posted tomorrow's the big day!!

I figure the water would help get the cycle in the tank started

As mentioned above the water will do nothing for you. The nitrifying bacteria resides on surfaces like the tank sides and esp. LR. I would not get the LR till you are ready unless you have a rubbermaid tub you can keep it in. You`ll need to keep it circulated and properly heated and feed the bacteria f you do get it now. BTW read our article on SW cycling in our articles section.

Back
Top Bottom