Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2003, 05:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Critters for the refugium

My tank is still in it;s second week of cycling and things are looking good. Ammonia and nitrates are near zero while the nitrate are still at 30ppm.
I added a refugium to my sump and placed some of the green stuff in it along with some live rock ( excuse me for the scientific discription but is it seaweed with little small balls on the end of each branch). I keep a small flourescent shining down on the refugium 24/7. I think by the end of the week I will add two damsels. The LFS said I do not have to quarantime them. Whadya think? My second question is: are there any beneficial critters that I can add to the refugium?

TIA

Old 08-26-2003, 06:54 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
With live rock in your refuge ou probably already have those critters in your refuge you just might not see them yet. Worms and Pods are good for your refuge. Not much more will be overly desirable as the hole point of a refuge is to provide a space wher eyou can cultivate something with out the problem of it being eaten or prayed upon.

If you dont see very good growth outof the algae then you might need to up your light intensity. If you do this going to a reverse daylight cycle on your refuge will probably be of benifit. For example if your lights on yoru tank come on at 11am and run till 11pm then have yoru refuge come on at 11pm and off at 11am. Lighting it 24/7 could cause problems. Make sure it does not go sexual. If the algae goes sexual it can kill water quality very fast as it relases its spores.

I think algae starts to turn white when its nearing this point.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 07:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks from my terrible description what kind of algae or seaweed is it that I have. I guess I should have asked the LFS but I was in a rush as usual.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:07 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Sounds like Grape Calurpia.

Click on the following link to compair some photos to what you have.

Grape Caulerpa Photos

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 07:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks I think I will take your advice and run the refuggium lights opposite to my main lights
(when I do finally turn the main lights on)

Tags
refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com