Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Crushed coral

Well, after doing some reading ( which I should have done first after reading everything now! i bought it with the tank before reading the forum, do'h.) It seems like having crushed coral for a substrate is a bad idea. The guy that sold it to me at the LFS seemed to know what he was talking about, said it was successful in his tanks / looked natural. My question being should I get rid of it now before I have all the rock in or will it really be ok??? You think you have a good handle on things then... LOL, and this is why I'm in no rush to get fish and take as long as I can to learn

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

i had crused coral in one of my reef tanks because i didnt know any better at the time and the fish guy said it was great. i had nothing but problems and changed it out right away. i went with live sand much better looks natural too. i dont know about a fish only tank if it is a good or bad idea or not i just dont use it at all.

125ga. FW w/60ga. sump. VERY aggresive fish
tamra&steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I too was suckered into buying crushed coral when I first set up my tank by the LFS guru. I think they just wanted to get rid of it and saw me as nothing but a $$ dollar sign. I changed to sand and am way happier and my tank looks much better as well IMO I don't care for the crushed coral look really.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

OK yes the sand would have been better and if you are up to it you can replace your CC with sand but you can stiil function with CC. Just vacuum it out when you do your PWC`s which will remove that trapped debris. If you have CC it is not the end of the world. Vacuuming will suffice till you are able to switch over.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

There are different particle sizes in CC nowadays with the smaller being similar to aragonite (CaribSea Super Reef) whereas back in the day I remember them as small bricks As long as you vacuum the substrate regularly, as Melosu suggested, there should not be excessive buildup of debris; however, it's still not my preference.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, you only have a 55g tank and you don't have anything setup in it except the CC, so now would be the perfect time to change it out if that's your desire and it won't be too big a job.

You could either bag up your leftover CC and sell it on craigslist, or if you're an avid DIYer you could use it to make your own agrocrete rock sculptures for your tank.

Now allow me to go off on my doddering old man tangent about my own personal experience with CC...
I bought a fully stocked 125g that already had a mix of mainly gravel and CC for a substrate.
It took all day to break it down, move it to my house, set it all back up and get the fish and corals back in.
There's no way I could have completely changed out the substrate without causing a cycle, so I did the next best thing.

Gravel and CC leave pockets and crevices between the particles that trap uneaten food/detrius which your CUC can't reach and so it rots causing problems.
Also, I don't like the looks of it and I wanted to keep some sandsifting gobies as well.

So I took several bags of Caribsea aragonite LS and dry sand, mixed it in with the CC to fill the gaps, and then built up another two inch layer on top for a clean white sandbed.
It lasted for two years like that without a problem until the wife decided we needed to rearrange the furniture and the tank got moved to the other wall.
That's when I set her down with a spaghetti strainer and several rubbermaid tubs to sift out all the old gravel and CC before I reaquascaped.
Hey, she's the one who wanted the tank moved... not me.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

LOL. When are you re-arranging the furniture again, and what do get out of it this time?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I had to do the strainer thing too. I only did a 1/4 of my tank at a time to prevent a cycle. BOY was that fun!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Weeelll I'm a bit peeved at the LFS people now haha. I think I'll go elsewhere to buy sand I'm guessing the argonite fine grain is the best to get 10-20# be ok for the 55 or should I get more / less for a normal depth bed?

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I dont use the fine sand because if you have alot of flow in the tank the sand will be blowing around. I use the medium size grain.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, crushed, crushed coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com