Crushed coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tattoed_alex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would crushed coral be good for substrate I'm wondering because my current tank a 24 gallon nano has sand but I have problems with the sand getting blown by the filter it makes a mess so I was thinking I could change it with something more coarse. Any suggestions and advice about using CC rather than sand?
As far as current stock...

1 small maroon clown
1 small yellow prawn goby
1 sand sifting star
10 Trocus snails

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The sand will stop blowing around in a short while. Crushed coral's larger grains will trap a lot of detritus and will need regular maintenance. I suggest sitting tight and keeping what you have. I'd return the sand sifting star also. It will starve to death in a month or two. You'll probably lose a few of the snails as well if your tank looks like your avatar (no food).

Actually the sand sifting star has been in my tank About 6 months I bought it with a missing leg now it's grown back and he comes out the sand during feeding time he's very active.
And as far as the sand I'm thinking maybe substituting a few pound with a sand that's just a little more coarse the one I currently have is the fine grain kind aragonite.

I'm not sure what he's eating but every 3 days when I feed the maroon and goby the star comes up from the sand and climbs the rocks as well

That pic didn't work for me, but generally, when they cruise the glass and rock, they don't have anything in the sand to eat. That's not a good sign. Just a FYI, if you see it start to disintegrate, and it looks like something has been gnawing on it, it's just melting away and nothing has attacked it.

Ok I get it well I if anything I'll just rehome him into a 75 gallon fowlr tank with a 2 inch sand bed I'm sure he'll be a lot happier in there.

Back
Top Bottom