Crushed Coral or Sand? What do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
seaham358 said:
Also rinsing sand is not needed.. Fine particles are good for the sand bed.

So I don't need to rinse the new sand, even if its the sand from toys-r-us?

Thanks.

Sand traps crud in it too. I got rid of mine(DSB), went to Crushed coral...1 - 1 1/4 inch and vacuum every 2 weeks and have NEVER had a problem with nitrates or anything else. If you do the 5 minute maintenance every 2 weeks or so depending on your bioload, you'll be fine.......on the same note...if you won't do 5 minutes of maintenacne every 2 weeks or so, don''t get into the hobby. Just my opinion. 8)

my prob with crushed coral is that the cleaning crew (mostly snails) have a hard time on it and you could bury tiny creatures when vaccuming. then again, i do like the look of a mixed bed. :roll:

also alot fish like to rub themselves against the substrate and CC can cause damage to the poor little fishes... HTH..

seaham358 said:
Also rinsing sand is not needed.. Fine particles are good for the sand bed.

So I don't need to rinse the new sand, even if its the sand from toys-r-us?

Please let me know. Thanks a mil!

Not sure it the sand from tr-us is any good, is it phosphate and silicate free?
before you buy it do the vinagar test, put some vinager on the sand and if it bubbles its good??? or is it bad??? Crap I forgot. anyone remember??

And if it is good rinsing is not needed, if you want to you can but IMO its a waste of time because you will never get all the fine particles out.
And if you use the plastic bag trick when filling the tank you will have 0 sand storm if done right.

seaham358 said:
Not sure it the sand from tr-us is any good, is it phosphate and silicate free?
before you buy it do the vinagar test, put some vinager on the sand and if it bubbles its good??? or is it bad??? Crap I forgot. anyone remember??

And if it is good rinsing is not needed, if you want to you can but IMO its a waste of time because you will never get all the fine particles out.
And if you use the plastic bag trick when filling the tank you will have 0 sand storm if done right.

I won't be able to do the vinager test till over the weekend. Will let you know how I make out. Thanks for the great info.

Brent

I have a pistol shrimp, nassarius snails, and a tiger tale cucumber that move my sand around all day. The pistol shrimp is a master at sand movement.

Just a few things you might want to consider when using any type of sand bed.

I would say nassarius snails are must.

You are right dragon force they are good movers of the sand. they keep mine all churned up

Back
Top Bottom