Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Crushed Coral or Sand? What do you use?

What do you use or what is recommend for a 180 gal mostly reef tank, Crushed Coral, Sand or 50/50? Going to be making a trip to the LFS and was wondering what I should get?

Old 11-02-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Get sand. Crushed coral traps waste more easily (uneaten food, fish waste, etc.) and causes your nitrate levels to skyrocket.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyH5512
Get sand. Crushed coral traps waste more easily (uneaten food, fish waste, etc.) and causes your nitrate levels to skyrocket.
do I just poor it right onto the bottom of the tank? 4'' right.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
That completely depends on who you ask. Most of us prefer sand, and around here people are even starting to go bare-bottom. I had a 10 gallon with about 2-3 inches of sand, but I got rid of most of it when I moved the tank. It really depends on what you want, but a 4" sand bed is probably good enough. The depth of the bed gives you different things, so you might want to research that out if you haven't yet.

It is a good practice to have the rock laid down before you put in sand, but be prepared for a really cloudy tank for a while. Are you just now setting it up?

Whatever your sandbed, make sure you get some critters to keep it stirred up. Check out what people say regarding clean-up crews. You'll probably want to get some nassarius snails and other sand-sifters.

-j
Old 11-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Make sure you get some live sand to go with your dry sand. Oh by the way I say go with sand 100%. Put your dry sand down and see if your LFS has some live you can mix in with it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Fine live sand is what I went with. Not the suger size, but the next closest one.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisc1ay
Are you just now setting it up?
Yes, I bought the tank used and it came with 160 lb live rock and a 5 gal bucket full of live sand, which is all in a large garbage can filled with water from his/the tank. I also have a heater a pumps running in it.

OK, now I have to go get some more sand, was told to just get play sand from toy-r-us.

My question now is whats my next step once I get the rest of the play sand. Remember I have the live sand and live rock soaking in my basement. I also have a reverse osmosis system on its way for the water.

You guys are definitely making my life easier and I thank you for that. I'll hook you up with a good deal if you ever need a website!

Brent
Old 11-02-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is crushed coral really that bad? I'm in the same spot, just having bought a used salt water tank and have three buckets of crushed coral. I was hoping to mix that with some live sand, but if it's really not that great an idea I was also debating on the white sand idea. What is it specifically about coral that deters people?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nojo like they said above it traps waste.. Mixing will be fine in the beginning but over time the CC will raise to the surface.. CC is not the best stuff to use.

Brent, when you get the tank ready to go and your going to add water cover the SB with plastic garbage bags and place a glass bowl on the bags. pour all water into the bowl when filling. Over time the bags will begin to float, this is fine just keep filling. When don remove bowl and bags... You will have clear water and no sand storm.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
Be careful buying just any sand...it could have some extra things in it that you don't want. I'm not sure exactly what that is, but I'm sure someone does...

After you get the sand and are ready to put it in, put your base rock in first. Put the sand in after that. It makes it so it's less likely to shift when you have critters in there. After you have the sand in, place the rest of the rock (you might want to wait until it calms down in there. It will be pretty cloudy for a while).

Good luck. I'm guessing this is your first system?

Nojo, the problem with CC is that, as mentioned earlier, it has more pockets for organic materials to get trapped and make your compound levels increase a lot. It's not horrible to have it, but it's not the best. IMO, sand is easier to maintain levels.

-j

Tags
coral, crushed, crushed coral, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com