Crushed Coral or Sand? What do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1brent1

Aquarium Advice Activist
What do you use or what is recommend for a 180 gal mostly reef tank, Crushed Coral, Sand or 50/50? Going to be making a trip to the LFS and was wondering what I should get?

Get sand. Crushed coral traps waste more easily (uneaten food, fish waste, etc.) and causes your nitrate levels to skyrocket.

AndyH5512 said:
Get sand. Crushed coral traps waste more easily (uneaten food, fish waste, etc.) and causes your nitrate levels to skyrocket.

do I just poor it right onto the bottom of the tank? 4'' right.

That completely depends on who you ask. :) Most of us prefer sand, and around here people are even starting to go bare-bottom. I had a 10 gallon with about 2-3 inches of sand, but I got rid of most of it when I moved the tank. It really depends on what you want, but a 4" sand bed is probably good enough. The depth of the bed gives you different things, so you might want to research that out if you haven't yet.

It is a good practice to have the rock laid down before you put in sand, but be prepared for a really cloudy tank for a while. :) Are you just now setting it up?

Whatever your sandbed, make sure you get some critters to keep it stirred up. Check out what people say regarding clean-up crews. You'll probably want to get some nassarius snails and other sand-sifters.

-j

Make sure you get some live sand to go with your dry sand. Oh by the way I say go with sand 100%. Put your dry sand down and see if your LFS has some live you can mix in with it.

hisc1ay said:
Are you just now setting it up?

Yes, I bought the tank used and it came with 160 lb live rock and a 5 gal bucket full of live sand, which is all in a large garbage can filled with water from his/the tank. I also have a heater a pumps running in it.

OK, now I have to go get some more sand, was told to just get play sand from toy-r-us.

My question now is whats my next step once I get the rest of the play sand. Remember I have the live sand and live rock soaking in my basement. I also have a reverse osmosis system on its way for the water.

You guys are definitely making my life easier and I thank you for that. I'll hook you up with a good deal if you ever need a website! :)

Brent

Is crushed coral really that bad? I'm in the same spot, just having bought a used salt water tank and have three buckets of crushed coral. I was hoping to mix that with some live sand, but if it's really not that great an idea I was also debating on the white sand idea. What is it specifically about coral that deters people?

Nojo like they said above it traps waste.. Mixing will be fine in the beginning but over time the CC will raise to the surface.. CC is not the best stuff to use.

Brent, when you get the tank ready to go and your going to add water cover the SB with plastic garbage bags and place a glass bowl on the bags. pour all water into the bowl when filling. Over time the bags will begin to float, this is fine just keep filling. When don remove bowl and bags... You will have clear water and no sand storm.

Be careful buying just any sand...it could have some extra things in it that you don't want. I'm not sure exactly what that is, but I'm sure someone does...:)

After you get the sand and are ready to put it in, put your base rock in first. Put the sand in after that. It makes it so it's less likely to shift when you have critters in there. After you have the sand in, place the rest of the rock (you might want to wait until it calms down in there. It will be pretty cloudy for a while).

Good luck. I'm guessing this is your first system?

Nojo, the problem with CC is that, as mentioned earlier, it has more pockets for organic materials to get trapped and make your compound levels increase a lot. It's not horrible to have it, but it's not the best. IMO, sand is easier to maintain levels.

-j

-so have my water mixed and ready. (don't mix the water with the salt in the tank, right? sure would be nice to be able to)
-again, I have a reverse osmosis system on its way.
-clean the heck out of my new sand
-add them both?

question, when do I add my live rock and the 5 gal of live sand I already have. Should I wait a couple weeks before adding my good stuff (LR & LS)? I still have the original filtration with bio balls which I'm sure still has bacteria on them still.

Or should I add the good stuff first to help things out since they are live. Nothing special on them, like corals, etc. Just a little purple stuff on them.

step by step how would you re-start up this tank again?

Thanks

Once your water is right then you`ll put all in at same time. Put sand in first then water and then rock and then let it cycle the fishless way for 3 to 6 weeks till your test kit says it is cycled

melosu58 said:
Once your water is right then you`ll put all in at same time. Put sand in first then water and then rock and then let it cycle the fishless way for 3 to 6 weeks till your test kit says it is cycled

Great Thanks! Can't Wait! Just waiting on the water now. Wow, never thought it would be so much work and my wallet is now empty And all my RC trucks (other major hobby) have been collecting dust.

I`ve read where people put garbage bags or other stuff in over the sand while you add water to avoid the sand storm that will happen.

I would add the new sand to a dry tank then the LS on top of that and then the LR. When you add the LR wiggle them so the bottom touches the glass. You what this in case you get a fish that a digger he may undermines your LR if its not on the bottom.
then cover as much sand bed as possible with new trash bags, then I use a glass bowl in the center and pour the water slowly into the glass bowl. leave everything in the tank until your done filling. If done properly you should have near crystal clear water.

Also rinsing sand is not needed.. Fine particles are good for the sand bed.

seaham358 said:
Also rinsing sand is not needed.. Fine particles are good for the sand bed.

Sounds pretty easy, THANKS!

So I don't need to rinse the new sand, even if its the sand from toys-r-us? I was told I could just use the toys-r-us sand at 5.99, 50lb a bag instead of $39.00, 40lb from my LFS. Its really fine course. The guy that told me about it had it in his tank and you couldn't tell the difference.

The issue with local beach sand is what other pollutants are you adding? Same issue with people that collect rain water thinking it will be purer.

Back
Top Bottom