CUC for a 40G Breeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like the banded trochus snails- those are some hard working snails!! They move quick(for a snail), don't get too big and are always working. Their shells are kinda pretty too :) they will eat all kinds of algae, including hair algae. The Astraea are good too, on the glass a lot and always cleaning, but work slower. Nassarius snails are cool, keep sand bed stirred a little bit. I also have conch, their eyes are kinda weird, but do a good job keeping the sandbed clean. Conchs won't go on the glass or rocks, though. You gotta kinda get a mix of different snails cuz they all serve their purpose. I personally avoid the turbo, even though I hear they eat huge amounts of algae, because I've seen some very big turbos and I don't want my rock work tumbling down. I also like scarlet reef and zebra hermits, just get extra shells for them to move into when they get bigger and toss them around the tank. I also have a strawberry crab, but he's nocturnal and have honestly only see him out every couple of weeks, I sometimes forget he's in there-which is why he's listed last here :)

Slowly add as needed. I recommend cerith snails, nassarius, turbo, blue leg hermits, and maybe a coral banded shrimp

Nassarus snails are the best if you have a sand bed IMO. They constantly dig through the sand cleaning with their spout sticking out. Neat to watch. I second the trochus snail too. Great cleaners. The Turbo snail are awesome cleaners.

If you want a good sand sifting cuc look into white hermits. Mine sifts about 5x the area my nassarius snails do. He'll dig until he's almost buried then move over an inch and repeat. They really are unlike any of the other hermits with how fast and active they are... Here's one of mine exploring when I first got him :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120818_225428.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120818_225428.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 97
I'd rather have hermits than snails, snails tend to knock stuff over...

Back
Top Bottom