Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Most are negative but some are positive. That is why I like to cycle using bacteria so you get some of both. If you ever culture some bacteria supplements on a Petrie dish you will see different types.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
how is this helping the cyano problem? are you saying that it's ok to kill off half of your bacteria colony?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you follow the right process, with water changes, running carbon, and then replacing bacteria it is a very effective method to kill it. But you still have to take care finding out why you have it in the first place.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

where are you pulling this from? can you show me data on this "right process"?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am pulling this information from my college degree. The process was given to me by Preuss Pets from Lansing, Michigan. They are a very reputable LFS in the area. I just used it on my tank with no loss of livestock. Tested water today and 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, and 0 nitrites. So I couldn't be happier. I just don't understand the fear. We use antibiotics for ourselves and we kill all the beneficial bacteria in our intestines but then we replace it after the drugs have been removed by our body by eating yogurt. The process is the same for the tank...use the antibiotic, remove the antibiotic, replace the beneficial bacteria.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

the fear is that you'll have an ammonia spike after using the chemical and kill off a couple grand in fish and coral.
you, and the OP, have nutrient issues. that LFS gave you bad information. they should have told you to remove the excess nutrients instead of just removing a symptom of the excess nutrients.
the reason i used the chemiclean before was because it was on a public display and they did not want to wait for multiple water changes to take effect. ultimately, it was the water changers that prevented it from coming back, not that i killed it off for good.

i imagine eating yogurt after taking antibiotics doesn't have an immediate effect. I assume any bacteria you pour into a tank will have a dwell time also. if pouring bacteria into a tank was so effective, why do we cycle tanks?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree that I had a nutrient problem but I addressed that issue. They did not give me bad advise because we spent several weeks trying different solutions. I just wanted it gone. They did not push me into that solution. They just gave me the correct process to make it work. The problem is that blue green algae is both photosynthetic and chemosynthetic.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cycle is the process of bacteria doing it's job. Without bacteria there would be no cycle.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes, i understand the whole cycle thing, but getting back to "chemosynthetic", it's still a nutrient issue. all that tells us is that cyano can't be killed by shutting off the lights.

Tags
cuc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com