Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

CUC problem

Im starting to have a problem with my 45 gallon reef tank, it is starting to get red slime algae on my rock. i have cut my lighting schedule down, i do weekly water changes and i scrub my rock every time i change the water. I am starting to think it could be all the hermit crabs i add to my tank. i have a toby puffer fish which is a real pain in the butt but i just love him to much to get rid of him. he puts a real dent on my CUC and i am starting to think that with all the hermit crabs he kills, their has to be so many just rotting in the tank since this tank has been up almost 8 months already. I have seen some people on here talk about not even having a CUC in their tanks. i was wondering if i could go that route or just eliminate the hermit crabs and get 3 emerald crabs as my CUC because he doesn't really go after anything that is that much bigger then him. like my turbos he trys to nip at them but thats about it doesn't pursue them or anything just ignores them i figured he would do the same if i got a pretty large emerald crab what do you guys think? Sorry for the long post lol

Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Most puffers are not reef safe and should be kept in a fish only tank.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

That didn't really answer my question I am aware of that their are only soft corals in my tank and my puffer doesnt go after those
Old 08-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
try to get more flow to where you have the red slime build up also are you using tap water or ro/di if your using tap you could be adding phosphates into your tank and what are your levels?
Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use only RO water and I have

0 nitrates
0 nitrites
0 ammonia
8.0 Ph
1024 salinity
.25 phosphates
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

See if this helps you. Cyanobacteria, AKA Red Slime Algae

An emerald crab will do nothing for red slime.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

You can use erythromycin powder to kill the slime. I got some from Pruess Pets. IMO any Invertebrates you put in the tank with the puffer will become expensive fish food.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
do not use an antibiotic to kill bacteria in your tank. antibiotics do not differentiate between good bacteria and bad.
you can use a product called "chemiclean" by boyd enterprises. follow the instructions exactly.
ultimately you have excessive nutrients in the tank. i don't care what the hobby grade test kits say. as far as flow goes, i've had cyano grow on the outputs of power heads, so i don't think it's the lack of flow.
it's not a "cuc" , or lack thereof either. No eating, pooping, creature is going to correct the problem of excessive nutrients. it's common sense. when you eat something, it does not disappear. it just changes. the same goes for crabs and snails. they end up pooping it out.
water changes with good source water and cutting back on feeding is the best defense.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

But antibiotics do differentiate between gram negative and gram positive bacteria unless it is a broad spectrum antibiotic. And erythromycin powder only kills gram negative bacteria.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
well, i've heard of people using erythromycin and then having ammonia spikes, so i guess the bacteria that sustains our tanks is gram negative.

Tags
cuc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com