Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
CUC questions

Just finished cycling my 90 gallin fowlr tank. Plan on adding a fish soon. Not exactly sure what I will exactly stock, probably false clowns, gramma or a dotty back, fire fish, maybe a watchman goby, maybe a lawnmower blenny, and I would love a flame angel.

My questions are around a clean up crew. I am curious what should be included in this crew and what should be excluded. Also, I have a little bit of aptasia on some of my live rock. Also curious about when I should add this crew.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Wings4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
First step should be getting rid of the aiptasia right now.

90 Gallon Reef - 3 Blue-Green Chromis, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Kole Tang, 1 Midas Blenny, 1 Longnose Hawkfish, 1 Zebra Dartfish, 1 Algae Blenny, 1 Six-Line Wrasse
29 Biocube Reef - 1 Chalk Bass, 2 Black and White Clownfish, 1 Yellow Watchman Goby, 1 Fire Goby
Greenturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
You don't have to have a cuc myself I like Saltwater Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Banded Trochus Snail and Saltwater Aquarium Snails for Marine Reef Aquariums: Nassarius Snail

I have a couple of peppermint shrimp in my 55 for aiptasia and they do a great job. I have tried the commercial aiptasia x, lemon juice and vinegar but nothing keeps them away like peppermint shrimp if you get the ones that actually eat them. If you get the ones that sway and have dark colored eyes you have a better chance of getting ones that eat aiptasia, the green eyes ones don't touch it.
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I personally like clean up crews. If you have a nice fine substrate like sand. Some Nessarious tiger snails are one of the most interesting inverts in my opinion. Also maybe some scarlett hermit crabs and some cleaner shrimp are always fun to watch.
freppy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
The problem with hermits is they will kill a snail just to try on a shell. I do have hermits in 2 of my tanks, one has killed 3 snails but still goes back to the same shell. The other tanks only snails and I honestly can say they are all about equal. Some snails can get tipped over and can't right themselves.
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com