Culligan Machine at Grocery store.. is it RO/DI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
like the topic asks.. anyone know if this is RO/DI water out of the "Culligan" machine at the store? It says its filtered through carbon, then a membrane and then its put through a UV filter. Just making sure this is good for my tank?

I would recommend that you ask the store manager or call the culligan that is responsible for the care ot that machine , they will tell you if it is or not ...Then ask to see the maintince log to make sure it is regularly serviced ...

We don't have a Culligan Machine in our area, but Im assuming if it's anything like ours they are just tap water filters, which still uses a membrane but doesn't deionize the water like a RO/DI unit does. But then again....I might be wrong, so lets hear what everyone else has to say.

If it has a membrane then it is likely an RO system. How good it is set up and kept up is a good question. You might want to get a sample and test for nitrates and phosphates.

melosu58 said:
If it has a membrane then it is likely an RO system. How good it is set up and kept up is a good question. You might want to get a sample and test for nitrates and phosphates.
Good point :D

i have a similar machine near my house, there was a last serviced tag on it. it read 04, so i went to the water store instead, it's only .30 a gallon and i know it's good.

Those machines are designed to produce drinking water - they use RO, but no DI.

Russ @ BFS

So, excusing my ignorance, RO (reverse osmosis) is the passing of water through a membrane to remove any particulate matter, and DI (de-ionization) is removal of phosphates and other impurities? Because the water machine says it uses carbon filters, isnt this how you De-ionize water by using activated carbon? Sorry, as you can see im certainly no expert....

Jme - you're generally on the right track, but not quite.

Carbon is used ahead of TFC RO membranes to remove chlorine and other volatile organic compounds.

Reverse Osmosis uses a semi-permeable membrane to filter out 90%+ of molecules larger than water. So it filters out particulates down to the molecular level.

Deionization is typically used as a polishing stage after RO. It captures ions that made it through the RO membrane.

The Culligan store in my area says that there water they sell in the store is not RO water. I was going to use it to start my tank till they told me. They said there water was only run thru carbon filters.So I would assume it is not RO water.

Back
Top Bottom