cure live rock that has died.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edwardclaxton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My friend has some rock that im gonna get. He had a sw tank with live rock in it. He has a new job and had no time to maintane his tank. So he had red slime and a couple other problems. He finally just took it down and his rock has been in a tub for several months now. Im sure everything on it is dead by now. How do I need to cure this rock?

Rubbermaid container, saltwater, heater, and powerhead. Watch the levels water change as needed. Unless its a new tank them just put it in and let the die off cycle the tank

Just like cycling a tank the curing process can vary. Only by testing the water can you determine when it is done. Seeding would probably help speed up the process.

Yeah but with a power head or 2, just to move the water around and through the rock

I was in a similar situation. I got rock from my cousin but it was all covered in fungus and looked like hell. I threw it in a bucket with bleach for about a week. Then I just let it evaporate, since bleach evaporates quite well. The. Soaked it in some regular tap water and added some water conditioner ( chloride and chloride remover) I haven't put it in my tank yet because I haven't started but I've read that this is a safe process. As long as you get the chlorides out of the rpck

Back
Top Bottom