Cured Fiji or Uncured Caribbean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heartsx2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking at buying live rock from liveaquaria.com and I think I'd like to get the larger, more porous caribbean rock vs. the premium Fiji which seems smaller in size and more dense. But... it says the caribbean is uncured. Everything I've read says to make sure it is cured. What problems might I have if it is uncured? It will go straight into the tank to begin the cycling. Snails, crabs, etc. to be added once algae starts. Thanks.

You are better off with the uncured for a new tank. The curing process will cycle the tank. I have fiji LR and some caribbean. I much prefer the Fiji.

Even 'cured' LR should be cured again before adding to an established tank if it is being shipped. There is going to be some die off in shipping which could start a new cycle in an established tank.

If it's uncured, after initially rinsing in a separate saltwater container, I can still cure it inside the tank as long as it is unestablished right? That might be my deciding factor...

Anyone else on fuji vs caribbean? I haven't seen these in person, only from the pictures on liveaquaria.com

Thanks again.

Ok something strange must have happened cause last time I got rock the fiji was the porus and the caribbean was the more dense. The way you describe it is the opposite.

Since both has to be shipped expect neither to be cured regardless of what they say. The cured rock will have dieoff and will need to be recured.

I too was wondering the same thing as hearts, but my tank is already established and been going over a year, and i wanted to add some of the carribean that is uncured.. would i just have to cure it in a seperate saltwater pool/tank and then add it in? or what, and how long would if have to cure?

yes, you would have to cure in something seperate. rubbermaid tub or an empty tank, just add a powerhead and a heater and let it go. as far as how long it will take, thats up to the lr, usually it takes a couple of months. just have to wait until ammonia and nitrite are at 0. if its a new tank, let it cycle in the tank for the cycling process. when it is shipped theres alot of dieoff. i ordered some from ebay and it took about 9 weeks for it to fully cycle. hth.

Back
Top Bottom