Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks all. It kind of makes sense about leaving it in until cycle is done to me as well.

Steve

Old 10-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Only issue with leaving it in after you get, say 1.0ppm ammonia, is that you may end up with too much ammonia. When I cycled my QT for the very first time, I used a jumbo shrimp in a 10g - which was way too much to start with. And then I left it in. Ammonia got up to 8ppm, and the cycle pretty much stalled. In my opinion, I just plain had too much ammonia.

I think it's a mute point though - if you have cured rock, you won't see much, if any ammonia, even if you leave it in. Just keep an eye on the nitrates. If you see them starting to go up, and you're not seeing any ammonia, it's safe to say you're cycled.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the bacteria colony rises to meet the needs of the bio load. to start the cycle, all you need is an ammonia source. if you left an average cocktail shrimp in a tank it would take quite a long time to decompose. you certainly would not be ready to add fish in a month. you would still have ammonia present a month later.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

.... No the ammonia would be gone within 2 weeks (from my experience)
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I cycled a 225 FW from scratch using Ace Hardware Ammonia, I kept the ammonia between 1-3ppm and it completely cycled in less than 2 weeks. Just don't go over 4-5 ppm or the cycle stalls and keep the lights completely off.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
When you take LR out of the water, you will start the death cycle right away. There are always things on LR that will die with exposure to air, especially if they were transported out of the water, even wrapped in wet newspaper. Just count on a cycle, it's your best assumption.
What kind of things Die right away? now I wish I would have had my LFS guy give me my LR in something with water
Old 10-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
good advice. besides, LFS "cured" rock, is most likely rock that's been sitting in the live rock bin at the lfs for an extended period of time. the same bin they put the rock that just arrived in. the LFS's near here don't even heat, or change the water in the live rock bins.
i'm betting they have no idea how much that rock you have there has been sitting in that tank.
i would not trust it to be cured.

Exactly HOW is LR cured... and what does "cured" even mean??
Old 10-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

[QUOTE=Greenmaster;1168925]I would put the shrimp in and wait till all levels are zero and not remove the shrimp till the day before I was going to add livestock, the reason I say day before is that when you take the shrimp out it will often be fairly decomposed, it will "melt" as you are taking in out QUOTE]

Haha I know exactlt what you mean, I feed my Hermits 1 jumbo shrimp a day (the reason is it varies on how much they eat) and then take it out around 12-13 hours after I put it in, and yeah, when taking it out its already gooey ad melty-like lol Then I let the other critters eat the broken off particles. Once a week I clean it all out... which helps control ammonia lvls and such right?
Old 10-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingman8610 View Post
Exactly HOW is LR cured... and what does "cured" even mean??
Means that its got bacteria and such on it already to aid cycle. Basically if you took some filter elements/gravel/stone/etc. from an already established tank and put it in yours to jump start the cycle.

Think when i get my tank started I'll have 20% live rock / 80% base rock for my 55 gallon. Pretty much 10 pounds of live rock and 50 pounds base...roughly.

Over time the base rock will become live.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingman8610 View Post
What kind of things Die right away? now I wish I would have had my LFS guy give me my LR in something with water
Sponges will die with any exposure to air, many smaller organisms would probably survive for the most part, but there will still be a death cycle. If the rock was truly live, and not just base rock that was 'cured' this would be the case. So if you bought LR that was encrusted with coralline and was in a tank with true "life", the death cycle will probably be more prominent. If it was just cured base rock, then it would really probably only harbor the beneficial bacteria, and as long as the rock was kept for the most part wet, it would probably be a pretty minimal cycle.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com