Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxst2 View Post
Means that its got bacteria and such on it already to aid cycle. Basically if you took some filter elements/gravel/stone/etc. from an already established tank and put it in yours to jump start the cycle.

Think when i get my tank started I'll have 20% live rock / 80% base rock for my 55 gallon. Pretty much 10 pounds of live rock and 50 pounds base...roughly.

Over time the base rock will become live.
Ah ok gotcha, it makes sense now

Old 10-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Sponges will die with any exposure to air, many smaller organisms would probably survive for the most part, but there will still be a death cycle. If the rock was truly live, and not just base rock that was 'cured' this would be the case. So if you bought LR that was encrusted with coralline and was in a tank with true "life", the death cycle will probably be more prominent. If it was just cured base rock, then it would really probably only harbor the beneficial bacteria, and as long as the rock was kept for the most part wet, it would probably be a pretty minimal cycle.

What is coralline?

It was in a tank with true life and I do believe it was living not just cured base rock, How would I know if it had sponges to begin with?

Old 10-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
.... No the ammonia would be gone within 2 weeks (from my experience)
so, if i'm reading you correctly, you put a normal sized cocktail shrimp in a tank and it completely disappeared, and so did the ammonia created, in 2 weeks?
i have a hard time believing that.
i'll tell you what, i'll experiment. i'm going food shopping tomorrow anyway, so i'll purchase a single raw shrimp and bring it home and drop it in a bucket of water with a power head and a heater, and let it sit. i'll post my findings.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
so, if i'm reading you correctly, you put a normal sized cocktail shrimp in a tank and it completely disappeared, and so did the ammonia created, in 2 weeks?
i'll tell you what, i'll experiment. i'm going food shopping tomorrow anyway, so i'll purchase a single raw shrimp and bring it home and drop it in a bucket of water with a power head and a heater, and let it sit. i'll post my findings.

Can't wait to hear back on it
Old 10-24-2010, 04:20 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post

... I never said the shrimp would be gone.... I even talked about taking what was left out when you add fish... Let me clarify what I meant. The beneficial bacteria that turns ammonia to nitrite will convert it faster then the decomposing shrimp produces the ammonia after about 2 weeks.

The experiment you are doing will have high levels of ammonia and they will not come down fast enough as you will not have the surface area required for the bacteria to flourish... If you have some sand and some cured rock/old filter media to help with the bacteria introduction and surface area then your experiment will work... basically you need to be setting up a tank if you want to see how it will react when establishing a tank.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmm...i can't set up a tank right now. i would still like to do the experiment though. let me think on it.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have the spare stuff laying around that you could set up a tank. Just set it up in a tote or a bucket... just make sure that the shrimp is comparable in size to the surface area you are providing for the bacteria, otherwise the cycle will stall.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I've put the raw shrimp in a few days ago and I've started to see the decay (white mossy stuff) all over it. I've also started to notice that some of my substrate and a couple of the dead rocks have started to get some brown growth on them. Is that part of the cycle? Thanks...

Steve
Old 10-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Should the lights be off during this cycle? Any other equipment on or off? Thanks...

Steve
Old 10-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

lights off.

Tags
cycle, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com