Cured live rock & the cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think I ended up with mostly cured live rock. I'm assuming that there will be some die off but will this start the cycle in my tank? Or do I have to start it on my own ( via dead shrimp)? Can I put a clean up crew in? Or should I just keep the tests going for a few weeks? Thanks

Steve

How long ago did you start? Was this LR out of the water? You can also add an ammonia source and if there is enough nitrifying bacteria then you might not see a cycle. I would definitely wait a few more weeks to see what the added ammonia will do.

how much rock did you add and what size tank is this? how was the rock transported and if it was out of water, for how long?

The tank is 120g with a 30g sump. I bought 100 lbs of live rock. It was in water at the LFS and I brought it home in styrofoam boxes. I'm not looking to rush the process but just curious if ammonia is even going to show up because i think it's cured. It might not be but...
Steve

if your not sure its cured then assume its not I figure, since the tank is empty throw in the dead shrimp or seafood like you were planning and watch the levels.

I had LR from a Tank that was setup for over a year so when I threw the dead shrimp in after a week the ammonia was .5 and then it went down to 0 shortly after but I also had old filter media as well which was all transported in water.

Put a peppermint shrimp in the tank a few days ago and hes doing great along with some crabs so im just watching the levels still hoping to not see a crash.

I'm assuming it's not. As for the dead shrimp how do you exactly go about that? Is it just a supermarket bought one and toss it in? How long do you leave it in?

Thanks...Steve

When you take LR out of the water, you will start the death cycle right away. There are always things on LR that will die with exposure to air, especially if they were transported out of the water, even wrapped in wet newspaper. Just count on a cycle, it's your best assumption.

good advice. besides, LFS "cured" rock, is most likely rock that's been sitting in the live rock bin at the lfs for an extended period of time. the same bin they put the rock that just arrived in. the LFS's near here don't even heat, or change the water in the live rock bins.
i'm betting they have no idea how much that rock you have there has been sitting in that tank.
i would not trust it to be cured.

when using the raw shrimp method do you take the shells off or just toss them in? I heard a good suggestion about putting them in a mesh filter bag so the clean up after isn't so bad. What do you think?

Steve

it doesn't matter..shells or not, there will be rotting flesh. the clean up is minimal. it's only a few days.

I've never done the shrimp method before, but I would think you would need to leave it in there until you had 0 ammonia & 0 nitrite. If you wait until you start to pick up ammonia, then take away the 'food source', your bacteria colony will starve, won't they?

When I did fishless cycle via ammonia dosing on a 225 I was told to keep the ammonia above 1ppm and below 4 ppm until it read 0 ppm the next day, then make sure to give it enough ammonia so the ammonia-eating bacteria made enough 'food' for the nitrite-eating bacteria, and keep dosing until there was no detectable ammonia or nitrite after 24 hours of dosing. It took 2 weeks to complete the cycle. I would think you would need to leave the shrimp in there the whole time, wouldn't you?

Yes, I understand that the ammonia is the food - why else would you pour ammonia into your tank in the other fishless method. What I was referring to is that one bacteria 'eat' ammonia and produce nitrite, and nitrite is the 'food' for the bacteria that turn that into nitrate. But something has to break down to create the ammonia.

What I am getting at is that you have to supply a constant level / supply of ammonia to sustain the bacteria through the entire cycling process. Fish provide this in an established tank. If you take out the fish, your bacteria will starve. If you let the ammonia in the tank rise to a detectable level, then remove the source that creates the ammonia, then you choke off your bacteria colony before it gets a strong, solid foothold. After all, to complete your cycle, you will go through a time period where you could add ammonia to raise the level to 1ppm and it would all be gone in 12 hours - but your Nitrite would still be spiking. You need to supply a constant supply of ammonia until ammonia and nitrite are both zero, not until ammonia appears.

At least, that is what makes sense to me. I've never done the shrimp method, so if I'm dead wrong, someone enlighten me.

I would put the shrimp in and wait till all levels are zero and not remove the shrimp till the day before I was going to add livestock, the reason I say day before is that when you take the shrimp out it will often be fairly decomposed, it will "melt" as you are taking in out and will have a last surge of ammonia within 24 hours you should be able to put livestock into the tank. I would do one last test, as well as when I go to pick up some fish I would take a sample of the water to the LFS so they can tell you your water is good enough (some test kits are faulty so it never hurts to get the LFS to verify your results)

Back
Top Bottom